Menu

Classical Schools in PDX, Eugene or Albany. Any Hints? Or other rigorous schools

Hey Everyone :) Classical Schools in PDX, Eugene or Albany. (Oregon) Any Hints? Or other rigorous schools...

The kids are 10 and 13 and the mom needs to work full-time. She'd like a Christian Atmosphere; She's Seventh-Day Adventist, but it's not necessary for the school to be SDA, just mentioning where she's coming from...

Any hints for great schools out there.... Thanks....

:)

Edited by NayfiesMama

The Seventh Day Adventist school in Hillsboro is known to be very good. Lots of people I know have sent their kids there and gotten them into the best colleges. But you have to finish the last two years someplace else.

Heritage Christian School in Hillsboro is classical, with VP curr. if I remember right. But I do not know anyone who sent their children there who was happy with the atmosphere except one person. The school had a LOT of legalistic rules such as: the waistband of your pants must be above your belly button even though the kids must wear button up shirts that tuck into the pants. These rules seem to be rough on kids over time.

The one person I know whose son was very happy there only sent him there for his senior year of high school. He had been home schooled all his life and his parents felt he would be lonely when his older brothers were all off at college. He was very well prepared for the tough work, and glad not to be alone.

The suggestions that you are getting are mostly for Christian schools, which I see is appropriate given the information in your post. But you did mention rigorous and I thought I'd throw out the Portland schools that fit that bill (that I know). My older son is at Northwest Academy and loves it (grades 6 to 12). The other "top" schools in Portland are Catlin Gabel and Oregon Episcopal School, both K to 12. The Arbor School is also in that category (grades K to 8). The International School is grades K to 5 and there are 2 French and one German immersion schools, all highly thought of. There are several highly thought of Montessori and Waldorf schools but that's getting pretty far away from classical.

Happy to provide more info about any of the above.

• 2 years later...
Guest eshreves

I posted this elsewhere but just in case its helpful here:

If anyone is looking for Classical Christian school options in Portland, OR. We opened a new small Classical Christian School in Portland called Trinity Academy. (see www.trinityacademyportland.org) We serve grades 7-12 and we are an "offspring" of a larger body of schools called Trinity Schools. (see www.trinityschools.org). We welcome students from a variety of backgrounds who have a sense of wonder and are willing to work hard. Trinity is within walking distance from the Yellow line Max Light Rail system in a central North Portland location. Families looking for private school, Christian School, or Catholic middle or high school options in Portland would be welcomed to apply.

Eric Shreves

Chair of the Advisory Council

Trinity Academy