Menu

MacBook pro or MacBook Air

Any opinions? I've bought 2 new PCs in the past 2 years for a total of $2500. My PCs are always overheating, the hardrives always crash, tons of viruses, and it always sounds like it's about to launch into outerspace. So, my dh and I have decided that either we buy a mac or we don't buy a new computer. The funds aren't really there, but it is what it is.

We use our computers for videos, pictures, blogging (a little), internet surfing, banking, etc.

Any opinions? I've bought 2 new PCs in the past 2 years for a total of $2500. My PCs are always overheating, the hardrives always crash, tons of viruses, and it always sounds like it's about to launch into outerspace. So, my dh and I have decided that either we buy a mac or we don't buy a new computer. The funds aren't really there, but it is what it is.

We use our computers for videos, pictures, blogging (a little), internet surfing, banking, etc.

To watch videos, or make videos (editing, etc)?

Bill

I have a Macbook Air that I love more than I have ever loved a computer, but it really can't be the only mac you have in the house. It doesn't have a drive for installing software - I share it off our wifi network. I love my Air, but if you want to edit graphics and movies or it will be the only mac you have, I'd suggest a Pro.

We watch videos and I edit my flip videos as well as I use smilebox to create slideshows or whatever from my pictures. Does that help?

The Air won't get hot or noisy (and can't have a hard-drive crash) because it has no hard-drive, and uses Flash memory. It also lacks an internal super-drive (DVD/CD) so one uses an external to load software, etc. This also adds to the "quiet", lack of heat, and lightness.

The downside is you need to connect an external drive to watch DVDs directly, or go through a copying step. And there is less storage with Flash memory than with hard-drives. One can have an external hard-drive (probably necessary) but in portable mode you may be divorced from access to some of your stuff (if you have large digital archives).

Bill