Menu

Pre Calc and Calc recommendations

DD will be finishing up the algebra series with Lial's and Holt Geometry by the end of this school year. What are our best options for pre calc and calculus? I can teach it - we wouldn't necessarily need a video based program. Someone has already recommended Saxon Advanced Math and Saxon Calculus. We have the rest of the year to decide but I'd like to start thinking about this.

If you like the Lial series for Algebra--- I suggest Lial's Pre-Calculus 3e.

This program is well organized and does an excellent job at teaching MANUAL problems--while at the same time introducing the graphing calculator (as optional problems).

For the graphing calculator--instead of a manual we chose to purchase a tutorial DVD from mathtutordvd.com Very easy to follow and easy to reference.

One thing that you might want to do is determine which Calculus text is used at a university to which your student might apply. That way, if she steps into, say, Calc II as a first year student, she will have some familiarity with the text.

The precalc and Calculus texts by Larson are solid. You might want to glance at those.