Menu

MFW or name the curriculum that I need!

3byzaz

I am starting to explore my options for the next two years of our history rotation. I now have an 8th, 6th, and 2nd. I did Bibiloplan last year for Ancients, but it felt choppy so we are just using MOH to its fullest this year. I love it! However, Vol 4 isn't done and won't be done near in time as we are a little ahead cuz BP had us not doing all of MOH 1. I thought about doing MOH alongside AAH or something like that - beefing up for high school, but still not sure MOH 4 will be done in time that high school credits will work out right for my two oldest. I am kind of wanting to find something that I can do both World and American at the same time.

I am drawn to MFW - however, Exp to 1850 is supposed to only be up to 8th. I would use MFW high school, but the right year won't fit my oldest either. (Either not done in time or not designed for his grade level.) We really want to get to American and not start over in Ancients again. (He is off the cycle, but the other two are right on.) Is there a way to use the Exp to 1850 and modern for high school credit?

I've also thought about going back to BP, but am not crazy about their resource choices for Year 3 & 4. Could use MOH 3 and do some American up to MFW Year 4??? Or something else??? Cost is a bit of an issue also! TOG looks great, but out of my price range. Plus, we like history, but don't love it or want to spend toooo much time on it!

Hope someone has an idea!!

I'm not sure using MFW EX1850 and 1850MOD would fit all needed subjects for high school level history/government/econ and all of those high school things. I'm sure if there's a will, there's a way, right? Plus, you'd want to juggle for English if you like the idea of

English, History and Bible combined.. so.. hmm.... I don't know if my answer.

I know when my oldest was in 8th grade, we used CTG because that is where we were in the cycle. We started MFW when she was in 2nd grade with ECC because Adventures hadn't been written yet. So, she did ECC again in 7th, and CTG in 8th, because I have younger students in that part.

This year oldest is in 9th grade using MFW AHL. It's working fine to just start rhetoric stage at the beginning. It's all different books. She was telling me last night just how it is working great to do the programs back to back because it is so different and with different expectations for high schoolers.

So, if you're concerned that your now 8th grade hasn't really had a lot of modern history, would it be possible to consider a mid year change to using MFW's 1850MOD and just getting as much done as possible and even letting him read ahead or finish some SOTW reading in summer? There's the younger supplement for the 2nd grader to get just basic US facts/history and geography and literature.

I know it's a crazy idea, but I thought i'd mention it.

-crystal

Thanks, Crystal! I really want to keep all three boys together if at all possible. My older two have had a fair amount of American - it's just been a couple of years. My youngest hasn't had hardly any - that he remember.

Thanks! It's good to know that AHL would work for a 9th grader - I just don't think I can afford two different history programs - well, I could, but don't really want to! :tongue_smilie:

Any other ideas?? Anyone???

Since you love MOH, I'd just keep with that through MOH 3, and then see what your options are. It's hard to beat something that you really love! My oldest is also 8th grade, and my thought is that if MOH 4 isn't out in time, we'll just do US history for his 11th grade year. Colleges usually like to see a US history credit anyway, and that will bring us up to modern times even if it isn't a WH focus. Then for 12th grade he could do economics and government, and if an audio is out for MOH 4, he could listen to that (my son loves audio stuff), or he could read MOH 4 on the side, again, assuming it's out then.

Just another thought! Merry :-)

Thanks! I have definitely thought of doing that! And, just may - I guess the other thing is that since I will have to add in American while doing MOH or after 3, I was thinking it might be easier to just try something that will integrate both for me that I can stick with.