Menu

My senior ds is thinking of going to the local state u....

Merry

where he wants to major in English and minor in studio art and music. He wants to go into film or theatre production eventually. Does the University of Missouri, Columbia have a good reputation for their English program? How can I find out? And if it doesn't, do you have any suggestions for a college that is not too expensive? It's not likely that he will get good scholarships based on his mediocre ACT scores.

I have no personal experience with it whatsoever, but I just checked its English graduate program's ranking w/ US News and World Report, and it's ranked #58, in a 5 way tie with schools like Boston College and (my college!) the University of Georgia. I would guess that means it's a respected enough department to attract some impressive professors and that anyone who's willing to work for it can get a very good education there (IME with big state universities, people can also skate by and graduate without really taking advantage of what's available to them). For whatever it's worth, I am very pleased with my English major experience at my #58 school and had no trouble getting into grad school.

Koko, where did you get the information about the guy who wrote two books on Eudora Welty? This kind of information is what I'm looking for in addition to the U.S. News ranking system but I don't know how to find it.

I just went to the English department's website and read some of the faculty bios.