Menu

Last night I read Life of Fred to dd jsut before she went to bed...

TKDmom

The dd who shouts at me that she hates math and refuses to cooperate with me?

She was laughing hysterically after Ch. 1 of Fractions. She wanted to get working on math right then and there. She asked if we could start using it right away. :lol:

I waved it in front of her and said, "You have to finish Singapore 3B, first." I'm in the process of figuring out how to accelerate Singapore for her right now, since she seems to get everything pretty well. I encouraged her to work with me to get SM done by the end of the year, so that we could start on LoF.

It was such a breath of fresh air to have math and laughing happening at the same time with this girl. I just had to share. I can't wait to start!

AND I hope the good attitude actually lasts once we start using it....

:D

Not that you want to do this, but I let my son read the whole book on his own first. It didn't hamper it at all, but every kid is different.

My kids who would slog through a singapore lesson with a grumpy face and whine constantly, now do one (or two) fred lessons THEN a singapore lesson every day w/o a complaint. I said that is how it must be done to get Fred every dya, so they do it... and they understand the concepts better now too, so it is as if Singapore is my practice for Fred. I love it!

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
I wish LOF would do some books for the younger ones!!! Like addition...Math is like pulling teeth around here!

He's currently working on a series for younger kids but I don't know how soon it will be out or what order they will be released. My dd and I sure wish he would hurry!

LOF bedtime stories.... :lol:

I caught my 6yo reading the calculus book the other day. He likes to read them for fun. He said something funny the other day, "It's all about set theory!" I can only imagine he picked it up from one of the books.

Crazy kids.

:lol: That's too funny... I caught ds in bed the other night reading his sister's Advanced Algebra...:lol:

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
We're near the end of Singapore 3a. Is it time for Life of Fred?? :confused:

This always gets such good reviews. I was planning on using it, but not sure when.

I'm not familiar with Singapore but the child must have mastered addition, subtraction, multiplication and division before starting Fractions.

I'm not familiar with Singapore but the child must have mastered addition, subtraction, multiplication and division before starting Fractions.

Hi, thanks for the reply. My daughter is near the end of Singapore 3a and also does CLE Math 300's. So, both programs have already introduced fractions, but not adding/subtracting/multiplying/dividing them.

That probably makes sense how rainbow resource listed LOF for 5th grade.

Thanks again.

I am really excited about his elementary math series. I have been unable to get pregnant after my youngest son (who is now 12). We recently figured out why and discovered it is a correctable problem! I am having corrective surgery early next year. We plan (hope & pray) to have a whole new batch of little ones to teach! :001_smile:

Guess we will be using LoF! :D

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Hi, thanks for the reply. My daughter is near the end of Singapore 3a and also does CLE Math 300's. So, both programs have already introduced fractions, but not adding/subtracting/multiplying/dividing them.

That probably makes sense how rainbow resource listed LOF for 5th grade.

Thanks again.

They don't need to know how to add/subtract/multiply/divide FRACTIONS (they don't need any previous experience with fractions), just how to add/subtract/multiply/divide whole numbers. I think that will be different in different curricula depending o. Their scope and sequence. We use MUS so it's very clear.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
I am really excited about his elementary math series. I have been unable to get pregnant after my youngest son (who is now 12). We recently figured out why and discovered it is a correctable problem! I am having corrective surgery early next year. We plan (hope & pray) to have a whole new batch of little ones to teach! :001_smile:

Guess we will be using LoF! :D

AWESOME, and CONGRATS!!! We too have two sets of kids and it's great :-) out older set are 16 and 15, and the younger set are 7, almost 4 and 2 3/4.