Menu

DD accepted at state college based ONLY on homeschool transcript and SAT

distancia

Here's a firsthand note:

About 3 weeks ago I mailed a homeschool profile and h/s transcript ("official" homeschool copy) to a state university my DD is interested in. Last week she filled out the application form (online) and transmitted it along with a payment charging the $30 app fee to my Visa.

Well, this past Tuesday--within 4 days of her online application--DD received a Congratulations, you've been accepted e-mail from the uni.

We found this interesting, considering the uni had not yet 1) received her official transcripts from any of the community colleges she has been dual-enrolled in and 2) has not yet received any recommendation letters.

Basically my DD was admitted to the uni based only on the merit of my "mommy grades transcript", my "mommy homeschool profile" and DD's SAT scores.

I guess those accusations about the worthlessness of "mommy homeschool documents" don't hold much merit.

Edited by distancia

It was the SAT score. Ds got accepted at Texas A&M before his transcript, recommendations, etc were there. Apparently, they had a cut-off and if you scored above it, you were in.

This did not speed up his other application paperwork at all. :glare:

:iagree: You might not have actually needed the mommy grades at all except to show that courses were completed. Homeschoolers need the test scores (almost always) and many state schools simply go off those. They can go mainly off those for ps students too. Good test scores will get you far in the college application process (sometimes finances too). That's why many of us put them at a high priority.

Edited to add that a couple of schools wanted my oldest to skip his senior year to start college when they saw his scores. These weren't top colleges, but nonetheless, they made the offers/suggestions. I'm expecting more of the same for middle son (who's always tested higher). We expect to refuse again. While he might not need more courses or credits, I want him home another year and he has plans for his senior year here.

Edited by creekland

Some schools are loosening up now in regards to transcripts. One school is so different from another, anyway, that really the SAT/ACT scores are the most important factor in deciding to admit or not. One state school my son applied to sent acceptance before even SAT/ACT scores were sent, LOL, much less a transcript..... I'm assuming (hoping) that they somehow had access to scores and don't just admit anyone in general who applies....

My dd has been accepted to three schools without a recommendation letter or a college transcript. These schools did not even receive a homeschool profile. Not only was she accepted, but is getting into two honor colleges and receiving lots of merit aid.

This is my second go-around. The main thing most colleges look at is grades and scores. Many colleges accept homeschool grades. Why? WHne your grades match your test scores, there really is no question. Both of my older children refused to do SAT IIs and I really didn't feel like writing course descriptions pr anything like that. We'll see where she is accepted but so far, three for three. All the others wanted and received more info. All of them, including the ones she was accepted to have now received her college transcript from Florida and will receive her one from NM. That is because I want her to receive credit if she is able. It is only a total of 6 credits so far but that gives her 2 extra classes she either doesn't have to take or can take something else instead of them.