Menu

Is there a way to streamline what we are doing?

mo2

A little background: She really, really struggles with reading and I suspect she is dyslexic. It takes us SO LONG to get through the daily subjects of the 3 R's that I have nothing left over for the extra subjects. Is there a way to streamline what we do daily in order to make it more time efficient? I have looked at all-in-one LA programs but with her reading difficulties, I don't know how that would work out.

Daily:

Memory work

OPGTR

AAS

WWE

Various lit pulled from different lists--WTM, LCC, etc.

Math Mammoth

Supposedly weekly, but mostly are not getting done

SOTW 2

Elemental Science Chemistry

Geography a la The Core

Thanks in advance!

I would pick either AAS or OPGTR. I would also drop the WWE workbook and use narrations/copywork/dictation from SOTW 2 and ES Chemistry. There's a list of SOTW 2 copywork out on the net somewhere and the poems before each element in Fizz, Bubble, Flash make great copywork. Add in dictation by dictating back to her the first part of her narration. Geography can also come from SOTW 2. Hope that helps!

I would pick either AAS or OPGTR. I would also drop the WWE workbook and use narrations/copywork/dictation from SOTW 2 and ES Chemistry. There's a list of SOTW 2 copywork out on the net somewhere and the poems before each element in Fizz, Bubble, Flash make great copywork. Add in dictation by dictating back to her the first part of her narration. Geography can also come from SOTW 2. Hope that helps!

Thanks. I think I'm just scared to do it without a curriculum. I want the handholding.

And just so you know, I really, really like Elemental Science. So nice to have everything laid out like that. Thank you. :001_smile:

:iagree: Pick OPGTR *or* AAS and drop WWE workbook in favor of pulling copywork & narrations from your history/lit/science.

Also, Math Mammoth is brutal for my ds7 (who is also a suspected dyslexic). All the reading tiny little numbers gets in the way of the math. I really like MM...but it just isn't a fit...sigh. He can do the math if I read it to him and act as his scribe, but doing the pages by himself fatigues him of reading. My ds7 is doing Miquon and Singapore CWP (that I read to him), and math games.

Thanks. I think I'm just scared to do it without a curriculum. I want the handholding.

I completely understand! I'm currently debating whether or not to drop CW in favor of WWE across the curriculum. It seems so much easier, but I really like having my hand held. However with the new baby (who never sleeps!), living overseas and trying to run a business, somethings gotta give, but I digress. Good luck figuring out what works best for you all :).

Just a few suggestions:

Could you make one day a week history and science day? You could get a lot of each done if you were to for-go the core subjects. You could still sneak in some copywork, narration, reading, etc. within the context of history and science.

OR

Could you start with history, say on Tue. and then start with science on Thur.? You would at least be guaranteed to get to history and science once a week.

I have had to seriously downplay our history and science because adding those pushed my dd7 (almost 8) to over 4 hours each day and it was just too much. I decided that her time and focus was better spent on the core subjects and she can do science and history on an interest based level. I will be perfectly happy if she dips into those subjects once or twice a week. We are heavily focusing on math and reading right now. I do include some historical fiction in her literature selections and she is listening to a history spine on audio right now. Maybe you could do something like that for history and just focus on the core subjects and whatever science you could fit in?

I hope you find some schedule that works ... I know how frustrating it is to have a stack of really great curricula sitting there never getting used.

I would pick a Friday afternoon to do Science and another one for History projects. Read SOTW at night, sometimes we read it at lunchtime. I read while they color the worksheets.

AAL has dictation in it. I also use the other sentences for copy work. That way he is copying the spelling words that we are working on. I agree with shelving WWE; use the other books for narrations. AAS is also a good phonics program. We are using it for that too.

I have a dyslexic child (we went through therapy) and AAL is the best program for that type of child. I would keep all the phonograms in the review file. We have been drilling and writing most all of them 2-3 times a week for a year. We have only just recently begun to spread this out some.