Menu

Megawords.....older vs. newer

BatmansWife

Can anyone tell me if there's much difference between the older Megawords (with like a drawing of a mountain on the cover) and the newer (more of a photo of a mountain)? I was looking through a box the other day and found these older editions:

level 1 TE

level 2 TE & ST (so, I'm set with level 2)

level 7 ST

level 8 ST

Before finding these, I was going to order Megawords 1 TE and ST newer editions (Rainbow doesn't carry the older anymore??). But, now that I found this older TE.....I wonder if there are only minor changes (maybe even just the cover and spiral binding)? I wonder if I can get by with the older level 1 TE that I already have and use it with the newer level 1 ST. Is this possible?? Or, are the changes too great? Same with the level 7 and 8 when the time comes.....can I get the newer TE's with those? Just trying to save money.

Thank you so much for the offer Danielle. That's very thoughtful of you. Problem is......I *know* I have the Level 1 TE....but I just can't find it right now. I know it's in a box around here somewhere (it wasn't with the other Megawords books I had found). So....I can't really do much of a comparison with you until I would find it. I'll start looking for it, and in the meantime I will send a quick e-mail to the publisher and see if they can tell me if the old and new are compatible with each other or not.

This is just hearsay, but I remember reading last spring when I was doing my curriculum shopping that the new Megawords student manuals were NOT compatible with the old Teacher's manuals.

So, although I buy almost all my curriculum used, I went ahead and bought the new Megawords level 1 TM and SM. I have three more students down the pike and didn't want to be stuck with unusable teacher's manuals.

I sold my old version Megawords set before I bought the new, so I don't have them both to compare. But maybe someone who does have both can confirm this.

• 1 month later...

Rainbow Resource has a pretty good description of what's been changed.

"Second edition changes are minimal in terms of actual content. Word lists are mostly identical although I noted a few changes that seem to be related to word familiarity and usage (i.e. cannibal not in the new list; testimony added). Activities are also mostly the same although there are a shifts in order and some changes in wording (i.e. Mr. Collier is now Mr. Spero; a radio is now a “machine that could do all homeworkâ€). There is enough movement in activity placement that using an old answer key with a new edition is likely to be frustrating. A review lesson has been added after the first three lessons in each book. A few types of exercises have been eliminated (unscramble and crosswords). Other changes include fonts (slightly larger), more writing space, and graphics/shading. The worktexts are still black and white. The Teacher Guide/Answer Keys (now in lay-flat spiral binding) have been expanded and contain more specific information about the approach, a six-step teaching strategy, “soft scripted†lesson-by-lesson plans and a complete, reduced page answer key as well as reproducible assessment and recording forms along with the reproducible versions of the reference material from the Student Book."

We're using the old TE for Book 1 with the new student book right now. We're exactly halfway through right now and we only ran into difficulty on one page, where the student book had ten words that the teacher was supposed to dictate and it wasn't in the teacher book. Other than that one section, everything else has matched.