Menu

Who combines History Odyssey and SOTW? Anyone?

golfcartmama

I am loving SOTW 3 and AG, except for one thing. I feel like it jumps around a lot and it's hard to give my ds a picture in his mind of what is happening all at once. I looked over HO (Pandia Press, in case there's another one) and it looks great. It would make the timeline easier and we could work in one section for a little longer and learn more. I still love the AG for SOTW for activites and book suggestions.

Anyway, I am looking for those that have done both to offer any BTDT advice! Thanks!

Can't say I've BTDT (been there done that).....but we soon will BTDT (be there doing that). :001_smile: We start first grade in January and will be starting HO Ancients 1. Someone had blessed me by gifting me the Ancients 1 book along with Isrealite Neighbors, Egyptian Neighbors and the Dover coloring books. I just *finally* (after months of looking) found CHOW and the Usborne History book used last night. Years ago I had gotten SOTW 1, the AG, and History Pockets....but we didn't end up using them much (glad I kept them!). I'm excited to start this with dd. She really has had nothing for history but I know it's a subject that interests her greatly.

Edited by ~AprilMay~

I"m not certain about this but I do believe there was discussion here and perhaps it is all addressed in the FAQ at Pandia Press that the different levels do not match up. So HO Ancients level 1 doesn't match up exactly w/ HO Ancients level 2, if that makes a difference to you.

<sigh> I suspected this. It would be nice to have them line up, but it would also be nice to have logic stage stuff planned out for my dd. And to use SOTW for my boys (who love it), and to stick to one culture for a while, rather than jumping around between cultures in the name of chronology. I think having it preplanned, and sticking to one culture for a while outweigh the inconvenience of having their studies not exactly lined up.

Really, I just want someone to tell me what to do. I feel like I've researched every curriculum under the sun in the last month. My dh had me convinced to just plan my own history, but once I start trying to do that, I'm paralyzed by the sheer volume of what I'm trying to do. :tongue_smilie:

Sorry for the hijack!

Edited by bonniebeth4

We're using HO Middle Ages this year and the main spine is SOTW 2. In the 14 weeks we've been doing it, there's only been 2 weeks (IIRC) that we didn't read from SOTW. We have the SOTW AG too, but I rarely use it for other than coloring pages.

We really enjoy HO and will use it again next year. I also added History Portfolio, which has loads of hands of stuff for Indy to do. He really enjoys it.

Thanks! I don't ever mind hijacks when they're useful! :001_smile:

I did download the try before you buy to work through at least this week we're *thankfully* on Chapter 12 in SOTW 3 and it's in the download. I think we may skip history next week to review and create a timeline notebook. The wall timeline it fun, but the kids are using the way I envisioned, I think and book will work better for us and it would work great along with HO. I love the activites in the SOTW guide and the student pages, so I have to merge them! Good thing my kids like history! :lol: