Menu

Film Studies?

I'm wondering if there's a course out there that we could use as a basic, introductory film studies course. I'm hoping for something that would take us more or less chronologically through the first 100 years of filmmaking, with some suggested representative works to watch, background information, discussion questions... I want something that will help us see the development of the art form and give practice with film criticism.

Any ideas? I looked at "Movies as Literature", but I don't think it's what I'm looking for, since it's really attempting to replace a lit program rather than give us a film history/appreciation course.

Universal Class has one. We're currently enrolled in it.

Here is a class description and a link:

http://www.universalclass.com/i/crn/33251.htm

Film Appreciation for Modern Audiences' is intended as a journey through the world of film, for a sampling of the thought and accumulated critical opinion that forms the basis of the modern stature of 100 years of film-making, as art or culturally important dramatic work. If you love film, here you can learn more about the narrow-passages of film-analysis, discussion of film, the period genres and movements in film-style, and more, for an informed opinion that will hopefully make your enjoyment of the film medium deeper. This course may be useful for professionals who need to be informed and conversant about the film-industry; for the layman who wants to know as much as he can about the world of film for his personal enjoyment; or for the student, hoping to become familiar with the 'lay-of-the-land' for film-criticism. Chapters include discussions on: v How you can get real enjoyment from the films you watch, and why you should care v Early film-history v The process of film-making and how it relates to understanding the films you watch v A look at 100 years of film-styles, genres and movements v A discussion of film-psychology, and some fascinating aspects of the perception of films v A review of 'films to watch', taken in 20-year periods starting in 1900, and moving through 2007, featuring all the classics from each era v General ideas about film and art-theory as a consumer habit v Film composers to know v Film directors to know v How to get your twenty-dollar's worth at the movie-theater v New ways to enjoy film and new audience technologies v And much more ...