Menu

Need that delicious sweet potato souffle casserole recipe...

Last year when we discussed Thanksgiving and Christmas menus someone posted a recipe for sweet potatoes...

It was from a restaurant that served it and it was so popular they had many, many requests for the recipe.

We loved it. Even if it does taste like dessert and not a side dish!!

Does anyone know what I am talking about? Anyone know the thread? Anyone have the recipe written down??

I know you baked up the tatoes and blended them with some butter and eggs and stuff, then topped them with brown sugar and pecans "stuff".

Just need to know the amounts of the "stuff"!!!!

Thankfully hoping....

Is this it?

Boston Market Sweet Potato Casserole

Ingredients:

3 large sweet potatoes

1 cup sugar

2 eggs

1 stick butter, softened

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

***Crunch Topping***

1/3 cup melted butter

1/3 cup flour

1 cup brown sugar

1 cup chopped pecans

1 tablespoon cinnamon

Directions:

Boil potatoes until tender. Remove skins when cooled. Put into a large bowl and whip them until fluffy. Add remaining ingredients. Pour into a greased casserole and top with the Crunch Topping. Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes.

Ok, I think the best part... is using Yams instead of Sweet Potatoes... Yams make it a gorgeous orange color and they taste so much better!! You'll never go back!! Then, when you do the topping, make at least 1.5 times as much as the recipe and bake till it's crisp. I love it with pecans, but we have nut allergies... and my mom likes it better without... anyway.

:)

For another idea using sweet potatoes...my mom always makes candied sweet potatoes for Thanksgiving. Since we moved from Ohio to Texas, I had to learn to make them myself. They are easy and sooo good.

All you need is

1 stick of butter

1 cup brown sugar

1 cup water

sweet potatoes - maybe 5 or 6

Here is a recipe on Allrecipes.com that is similar. The Allrecipes recipe cooks it in the oven. I always cook it in a pan on the stove. I think the recipe uses 1/2 the butter and brown sugar...all I have to say, is you want EXTRA for your potatoes. http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/classic-candied-sweet-potatoes/Detail.aspx

When I cook it in the pan, it takes about 20-25 minutes. You cook until it's soft and combine all ingredients to cook. You can start with less water, and then add more if you need it once the ingredients thicken (it takes a good 15 minutes to thicken). I use a baster and continually baste the ingredients over the sweet potatoes...or you can use a big cooking spoon. Cook until the potatoes are soft to your liking.

It's good stuff!

Vicki

I think this one is similar. It is from La Comedia Dinner Theatre and people that go there rave about it.

4 cups mashed sweet potatoes

1 cup sugar

2 eggs

1/2 cup milk

1/2 tsp. salt

1/3 stick butter or margarine (melted)

1 tsp. vanilla

Mix well

Pour into buttered pan

Topping: 1 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup flour

1/3 cup butter or margarine (melted)

1 cup pecans Crumble topping evenly over potato mixture. Bake at 350° for 35-45 minutes uncovered.

The only thing I do differently is take out the 1 cup sugar in the sweet potato part of the recipe. The sweet potatoes are sweet all by themselves...and, the topping works its way into the casserole anyway. I make it on Wednesday and keep it in the frig until about an hour before baking. I pull it out and let it warm up to room temp. Sometimes, I do make 1.5 times the topping!

Smiles!

~Holly

Ruth's Chris Sweet Potato Casserole

Crust:

1 cup brown sugar

1/3 cup flour

1 cup chopped nuts (pecans preferred)

1/3 stick butter – melted

Sweet Potato Mixture:

3 cups mashed sweet potatoes

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon vanilla

2 eggs -- well beaten

1 stick butter -- ( 1/2 cup) melted

Combine brown sugar, flour, nuts and butter in mixing bowl. Set aside.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine sweet potatoes, sugar, salt, vanilla, eggs and butter in a mixing bowl in the order listed. Mix thoroughly. Pour mixture into buttered baking dish. Sprinkle the surface of the sweet potato mixture evenly with the crust mixture. Bake for 30 minutes. Allow to set at least 30 minutes before serving.

Again, I always cut out or scale down the sugar added to the sweet potato mixture.

Boston Market® Sweet Potato Casserole

List of Ingredients:

o 6 cups mashed sweet potatoes (5 to 6 potatoes)

o 3/4 cup dark brown sugar

o 1/2 cup heavy cream

o 1/4 cup melted butter

o 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

o 1/4 teaspoon salt

Oatmeal Streusel:

o 1/4 cup rolled oats

o 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar

o 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour

o 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon

o 2 tablespoons cold butter

o 2 cups mini marshmallows

Instructions

Rub a little vegetable oil on the skin of each sweet potato and bake them in a preheated 400 degree oven for 60 to 70 minutes or until they are tender. When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, scrape out the insides and use an electric mixer on high speed to beat the potatoes until they are mashed and smooth. Measure exactly 6 cups of the mashed sweet potato into a large bowl.

Add 3/4 cup brown sugar, heavy cream, melted butter, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, and salt into the sweet potatoes and mix well with the beater until all the ingredients are incorporated. Pour this mixture into a buttered baking dish.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Make the oatmeal streusel by grinding the rolled oats to a fine flour using a food processor. A blender will also work.

Combine the oat flour with 2 tablespoons brown sugar, all-purpose flour, and 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon in a small bowl. Cut the cold butter into the dry mixture using a pastry knife or a fork. You should have a crumbly mixture with pea-size bits. Sprinkle this oatmeal streusel over the sweet potato mixture and pop it into the oven for 70 to 80 minutes or until the top begins to brown slightly.

When you remove the casserole from the oven immediately spread the marshmallows over the top. Let this sit for about 10 minutes. The heat from the casserole will melt the marshmallows, and then it's ready to serve.

Makes 6 to 8 servings.