Menu

The difference between the Kindle and the Kindle 3G?

3G means that it has its own Internet connection (like a cell phone) so you can download books anywhere.

Without 3G, you need a wifi (in your house or Starbucks or whatever) in order to download books.

You don't need any connection at all to *read* a book, just to download it.

Unless you want to be able to download books or mags or newspapers where there is no wifi, you don't need the 3G.

One other thing besides what Julie said. The 3G is free in the US, but not necessarily in Guatemala. It's also not necessarily available there. Personally, for overseas use, I don't think the 3G is worth it. You can always transfer anything from your computer to your Kindle easily.

Isn't the 3G the new cheaper version? The regular Kindle has wireless AND the "whispernet 3G" -- the 3G version (for $139) does not have the wireless ability.

For someone outside the US, I would hands-down get the 3G only. The wireless sucks the battery anyway, and while they've recently made wireless download of *books* free for US users outside the US (if you are able to mark the US as your country on your Amazon.com account), still the download of magazines, newspapers, etc. is expensive over wireless.

Anyone outside the US (or w/in the US) can easily transfer via computer, free. I do mine this way. The next one we buy will be the new, $139 Kindle 3G w/o wireless.

Caveat: if someone lived in a place with limited 3G coverage, *AND* limited internet at home, *BUT* which had various wi-fi spots in their city, then the standard/with Wireless would perhaps be preferable. Otherwise, wireless is not really necessary.

I don't have a Kindle but I have a Nook wi-fi which I absolutely love. At least with the Nook, the 3g is just helpful for getting books any place. You can't use it for the web browser. We have a wi-fi setup at home and I don't have the budget to get a book any time anyway.

I went with the Nook because you can use it for library books and other free books, the Kindle has to have Kindle format. I love it for homeschooling. I no longer have to pay for the classics and most of what I use are the classics. Reading paper books seems like a pain now, I highly recommend e-readers to anyone!

Isn't the 3G the new cheaper version? The regular Kindle has wireless AND the "whispernet 3G" -- the 3G version (for $139) does not have the wireless ability.

For someone outside the US, I would hands-down get the 3G only. The wireless sucks the battery anyway, and while they've recently made wireless download of *books* free for US users outside the US (if you are able to mark the US as your country on your Amazon.com account), still the download of magazines, newspapers, etc. is expensive over wireless.

Anyone outside the US (or w/in the US) can easily transfer via computer, free. I do mine this way. The next one we buy will be the new, $139 Kindle 3G w/o wireless.

Caveat: if someone lived in a place with limited 3G coverage, *AND* limited internet at home, *BUT* which had various wi-fi spots in their city, then the standard/with Wireless would perhaps be preferable. Otherwise, wireless is not really necessary.

The $139 version does not include the free 3G, only wi-fi. The $189 version and the dx are the only models that include 3G and wi-fi. If you are sure the country and city you live in can access the 3G reliably, then it can be a great option to get the $189 model. But since the 3G network is not reliable in many places overseas, it may not be worth spending the extra fifty dollars for something that might not work.

"TheReader" doesn't quite have it right. The newer Kindle is the model for $139 and it is WiFi only. The $189 version has 3G and WiFi. Both models also come with USB connectors so you also transfer books through a computer. I have the WiFi only version and yes, using the WiFi eats up battery time faster. But you can turn it on and off, so I only turn it on when I'm interested in browsing and downloading a book (which usually takes less than 5 seconds), and then I turn WiFi off. I read my Kindle just about everyday, and wait until I get the battery warning message to recharge, which happens about every 3 weeks or so. It only uses power during page refreshes, so the bulk of the time you're reading, it uses no power at all. I have travelled with mine, and I just make sure I have plenty of reading options downloaded before I leave home, so the WiFi versin is perfect for me. Unless you're a heavy traveler throughout the US, needing the capability to download books on a bus or a subway or some other location without WiFi, the 3G probably isn't worth the extra $50.

The $139 version does not include the free 3G, only wi-fi. The $189 version and the dx are the only models that include 3G and wi-fi. If you are sure the country and city you live in can access the 3G reliably, then it can be a great option to get the $189 model. But since the 3G network is not reliable in many places overseas, it may not be worth spending the extra fifty dollars for something that might not work.

Yes, the 3G is the more expensive version ($189). I have the 3G and live in Europe and haven't had any problem getting signal at all. You can also browse the internet with the 3G without being at a WiFi spot. We have a home network that I can hook up to as well. I love my Kindle!

Guest RecumbentHeart
Thank you! I was having a hard time figuring it all out. I'm leaving shameless hints to my dh about what I want and I wanted to get the details right! :D

You and me both. :D I still can't decide on the 3G option though.