Menu

Make Ahead Turkey Gravy...has anyone tried it?

Someone at church mentioned making make-ahead gravy for Thanksgiving...that it's SO easy and just as delicious. Has anyone done this? I found a recipe that does not require me to buy turkey wings or drumsticks...as most I found did...and, I'm thinking of trying it. However, 1/2 cup or red wine sounds like a lot. ?? Maybe I'm wrong. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

~Holly

Here's the recipe:

Make-Ahead Turkey Gravy

Summary:

This method of making gravy cuts down on last-minute cooking and ensures a deep, rich flavor. The red wine can be replaced with cognac, port or sherry.

MAKE AHEAD: The roux-stock-wine mixture can be prepared up to 2 days ahead, covered and refrigerated. Reheat gently over low heat.

Makes 4 to 5 cups

Ingredients:

• 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter

• 1/2 cup flour

• 4 cups defatted turkey stock, warmed

• 1/2 cup dry red wine

• Salt

• Freshly ground black pepper

• 1 to 1 1/2 cup turkey pan drippings

Directions:

Melt the butter in a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat, watching carefully so it does not burn. Add the flour slowly, whisking briskly until bubbles form and the mixture thickens and turns golden brown. Add the stock and wine, whisking until the flour-butter roux is well blended. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until no flour taste remains. Season with salt and pepper to taste. (At this point, the mixture can be covered and refrigerated for up to 2 days.)

To finish the gravy, strain the pan juices/drippings from a roasted turkey into a fat separator and pour the defatted drippings into the gravy mixture, stirring to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings; if the gravy is too thin, increase the heat and reduce the gravy for several minutes to the desired thickness. Transfer to a warmed gravy boat and serve.

But from where do you get the turkey broth and drippings?

I usually just make a big roast chicken the week to so before Thanksgiving and store the drippings for my gravy (hubby smoke grills the turkey outside so I do not get any drippings for it anyway). I so cook up the neck and innards in scant water for some turkey "broth" and cut up the bits and pieces to add to my gravy - this I can do the day before and then store the gravy in the 'fridge.

Whatever you do, don't heat your gravy on a gas stove in a Pampered Chef cake mixing glass bowl. It's not Pyrex and will blow up into a million little pieces. Thankfully no one got hurt. :)

I just wasn't meant to have homemade turkey gravy last Thanksgiving. LOL!

Thanks for sharing!