Menu

I want to teach phyics AND chemistry in 8th grade.

This is so encouraging, Kangato3! :001_smile:

If you have a chance, would you please tell me what your schedule is? There are 18 chapters in the regular CPO middle school science book (which I'll probably use. I like the topics covered better.) Will 18 chapters last the whole year?

How many days/week and how much time/lesson do you schedule CPO? Also, how do you handle the experiments? The kit from CPO is VERY expensive (~$1500) I think.

There is more physics in CPO than chemistry, and I have wondered about supplementing the chemistry with Ellen McHenry's The Elements in 1st semester (which I would also do with my 3rd and 6th graders.) In 2nd semester I would use Carbon Chemistry.

This may be too much. CPO may be enough. I just want to be sure we have a good foundation in both physics and chemistry.

What is your opinion?

Thank you sooo much for responding!!!

We follow this general routine for CPO. I use the teacher manual recommendations of when to do the Investigations (labs). They are usually scheduled before the related reading sections, giving the student hands-on experience before reading about concepts.

Investigation

Section reading (read/notes/section review) 1-2 days depending on length

Investigation

Section reading

Skill sheets (if applicable)

Chapter connection

Chapter activity

Chapter assessment

Some chapters have more than 2 reading sections. We usually do science 4 to 5 days a week, covering a chapter every 2 weeks.

For the labs, I spend the summer ahead gathering materials and supplies. For many of the physical science motion investigations, we used hot wheels tracks/cars with a stop watch - not as accurate as CPO equipment, but got the basic job done for a whole lot less! I printed elements on cardstock for the element tiles. I did splurge and purchase the atom building game as I will get to use it with two other younger dc.

I haven't seen the other chemistry programs you are looking at, but I felt CPO was a very thorough foundation.

We follow this general routine for CPO. I use the teacher manual recommendations of when to do the Investigations (labs). They are usually scheduled before the related reading sections, giving the student hands-on experience before reading about concepts.

Investigation

Section reading (read/notes/section review) 1-2 days depending on length

Investigation

Section reading

Skill sheets (if applicable)

Chapter connection

Chapter activity

Chapter assessment

Some chapters have more than 2 reading sections. We usually do science 4 to 5 days a week, covering a chapter every 2 weeks.

For the labs, I spend the summer ahead gathering materials and supplies. For many of the physical science motion investigations, we used hot wheels tracks/cars with a stop watch - not as accurate as CPO equipment, but got the basic job done for a whole lot less! I printed elements on cardstock for the element tiles. I did splurge and purchase the atom building game as I will get to use it with two other younger dc.

I haven't seen the other chemistry programs you are looking at, but I felt CPO was a very thorough foundation.

KangaTo3,

Thank you so much for posting this schedule!

Everyone has been so kind to help me! I can't tell you how thankful I am for all the comments and suggestions. I truly hope this has help others.

I feel like I'm down to either CPO middle school physical science or Conceptual Physical Science. Both will teach chem and physics. I LOVE the video part of the Conceptual book!!!

I am still a bit concerned that focusing on both may sacrifice deep learning of just one, yet it seems there would be less of a threat of overwhelming my dd. Comments????? In addition, when I try to pick between chemistry OR physics for 8th I just go in CIRCLES!!!

These are the two I'm going to target for more research.

Please continue to add comments. I think this is a HUGE decision that has lasting implications.

Edited by Sweet Home Alabama

Kai,

Can you describe a schedule for Conceptual Physical Science? I would like to understand how to use the book with the videoes.

I get the feeling there are video lessons for both physics and chemistry. Is this right? I've watched the Conceptual Chem videoes on-line. Is this what I would get on the included DVD?

How many days/week and minutes/lesson would I need to allow?

What kind of math should I expect?

OK... a subjective question.... as far as rigor, do you feel like this class would be easy to understand and enjoy OR would it be "work"?

The Pearson site doesn't do a good job explaining how to actually DO lessons..... the implementation.

I have learned a lot about CPO. I would like to get a better feel for CPPS.

Kia,

I just read from a different WTMer who suggested studying deeper (like CP and CC) can help a student more on ACT/SAT than using a physical science which teaches chem/physics "lite".

I feel just a little torn only because I don't want something overwhemling in 8th and I want to be sure I prep for both chem and physics.

I could use CPO and study both chem/physics "lite" OR I could use CP in 9th and CC in 10th OR I could use Conceptual Physical Science. The CPO is the only version written for 8th grade.

Ultimately I have to make the decision, of course:001_unsure:, and I'm trying to figure out the consequences of each choice.

So what if I do CPO and we study chem/physics in a "lite" way? Then we can study a deeper level of both of them in high school.

If we study CP in 8th and CC in 9th, will it be overwhelming? I just don't know.

I *think* our classes will look like this:

Math: Lial's Intro to Alg. I

Science: ?

LA: TPS English I (which will be challenging); Megawords

History: Medieval

Lit: LLftLotR orally to supplement history (doing ancients this year)

For. Lang: Rosetta Stone Spanish yr. 3

The math and LA will be challenging for us in 8th grade, which is why I've thought I could let science be light.

So, I'm leaning toward CPO. Is this a mistake? Should I reconsider and do CP in 8th and CC in 9th so we have a deeper understanding????:confused:

My head is beginning to spin!:tongue_smilie::lol::D

Thanks for your help!!!

I would do what you think will be best for your student. I think a good middle school physical science course in 8th grade is a wonderful way to prepare for high school science, especially if the student is taking algebra I concurrently. Depending on the student, Conceptual Physics and algebra I during the same year could be a bit much.

My opinion of Explorations is that it is ok, not fabulous (I'm pretty sure I won't use it again with my younger son). I wouldn't use Explorations in 8th with intention of doing Conceptual Physics/Chemistry later. It would be too repetitive.

I would do what you think will be best for your student. I think a good middle school physical science course in 8th grade is a wonderful way to prepare for high school science, especially if the student is taking algebra I concurrently. Depending on the student, Conceptual Physics and algebra I during the same year could be a bit much.

My opinion of Explorations is that it is ok, not fabulous (I'm pretty sure I won't use it again with my younger son). I wouldn't use Explorations in 8th with intention of doing Conceptual Physics/Chemistry later. It would be too repetitive.

Kai, I am so glad you put it this way. Out of curiosity, what if we used Conceptual Chemistry in 8th grade? Given we're doning Alg. I, would CC also be too much?

Could you help me understand how to schdule CP Physical Science? How many days/week and minutes/lesson? Truly, the advantage of using this is the videoes. I would NOT have to do the teaching, and I LIKE that!

Do you have a feel for comparing CPO physical to CP Physical?

What kind of math should I expect to have to do if we do CP Physical? Would you say it's more enjoyable or more "work"? (Subjective question:tongue_smilie:)

My understanding is that the Conceptual Physcial Science Exloration videos are the videos from Conceptual Physics and Conceptual Chemistry. I looked into them at this site. If you go to Table of Contents they list which course they were taken from.

Melmichigan,

CHOKE!:D These DVDs are $500!! YIKES!!:lol:

Ok, did this just make up my mind for me???

I feel I can adjust for CPO's equipment, but how would the Conceptual classes be if I didn't use these $500 DVDs???

Anyone know?

PS. Melmichigan, I copied your comment from an earlier post:

We are working through Conceptual Physics the High School program right now. After all the talk I printed the first chapter of the Elements to look through with my DD. This might be something fun to do before we get to Conceptual Chemistry. I really like the focus on memorization. :001_smile: (I need some fun right now, this physics stuff is work. :lol:)

Just a thought..... if CP is "work" that makes me think "rigorus". I'm glad you posted this. We'll do Algebra I, and I'm thinking we'll do TPS English I. These will be as much rigor as I want to sign up for. It looks more like CPO would be a better fit for us. Thanks for posting!

Kai, I am so glad you put it this way. Out of curiosity, what if we used Conceptual Chemistry in 8th grade? Given we're doning Alg. I, would CC also be too much?

Could you help me understand how to schdule CP Physical Science? How many days/week and minutes/lesson? Truly, the advantage of using this is the videoes. I would NOT have to do the teaching, and I LIKE that!

Do you have a feel for comparing CPO physical to CP Physical?

What kind of math should I expect to have to do if we do CP Physical? Would you say it's more enjoyable or more "work"? (Subjective question:tongue_smilie:)

I wouldn't do either concurrently with algebra I. Also, I think it's better to do physics first, which you would do with a physical science course. As for Conceptual Physical Science, the videos are *not* even remotely enough to be considered a lesson. The Conceptual Chemistry videos are better, but as far as I know, they don't come with the Conceptual Physical Science book. I wouldn't pick any of the Conceptual books with the idea that the videos will do the teaching.

As for the math, from what I remember, you'll mostly be using formulas and plugging numbers in. An ability to rearrange a formula to solve for any component is good.

Melmichigan,

CHOKE!:D These DVDs are $500!! YIKES!!:lol:

Ok, did this just make up my mind for me???

I feel I can adjust for CPO's equipment, but how would the Conceptual classes be if I didn't use these $500 DVDs???

Anyone know?

PS. Melmichigan, I copied your comment from an earlier post:

We are working through Conceptual Physics the High School program right now. After all the talk I printed the first chapter of the Elements to look through with my DD. This might be something fun to do before we get to Conceptual Chemistry. I really like the focus on memorization. :001_smile: (I need some fun right now, this physics stuff is work. :lol:)

Just a thought..... if CP is "work" that makes me think "rigorus". I'm glad you posted this. We'll do Algebra I, and I'm thinking we'll do TPS English I. These will be as much rigor as I want to sign up for. It looks more like CPO would be a better fit for us. Thanks for posting!

The videos are free on the web through different resources online so I wouldn't recommend buying them. :) For me it is work because I don't remember having taken physics, EVER. My stepmother assures me this isn't the case but I don't remember any of this, so it is all new to me. My DH is helping me with this so it isn't too bad but it is the first science that I am actually teaching myself so I can teach my DC. It is a very humbling experience as science has always been of interest to me and I follow some of the 21st century physics, without having done the basics. My DH jokes that I just blocked out the teacher, since we went to the same high school, so who knows.

If you'd like to see more of the math then click on the syllabus that I linked for you, there are problem worksheet samples for each chapter, but it is mostly just plugging information into the formulas. The videos for CP are also in that link.

Edited by melmichigan

The videos are free on the web through different resources online so I wouldn't recommend buying them. :) For me it is work because I don't remember having taken physics, EVER. My stepmother assures me this isn't the case but I don't remember any of this, so it is all new to me. My DH is helping me with this so it isn't too bad but it is the first science that I am actually teaching myself so I can teach my DC. It is a very humbling experience as science has always been of interest to me and I follow some of the 21st century physics, without having done the basics. My DH jokes that I just blocked out the teacher, since we went to the same high school, so who knows.

If you'd like to see more of the math then click on the syllabus that I linked for you, there are problem worksheet samples for each chapter, but it is mostly just plugging information into the formulas. The videos for CP are also in that link.

Thanks, Melissa! I read your PM that you sent to me again during lunch. :001_smile: It's a relief that I wouldn't have to spend $500!!!