Menu

Thieves suck!

We belong to a home group for Sunday School - kind of our church but not officially. Anyway, we rotate meeting at each others homes. Each week the next family to host takes the rubbermaid bin filled with all our stuff- mostly paper plates, napkins, plasticware etc. My husband didn't take it out of the back of his truck when we got home, so it was likely stolen when he went somewhere. First I am mad that DH didn't take it out of the truck, second I am mad that there are people out there who think they have a right to stuff that isn't theirs!!!!!! It makes me so angry.

I am mad that there are people out there who think they have a right to stuff that isn't theirs!!!!!! It makes me so angry.

But isn't that what we tell people on a daily basis?

When people claim a "right" to all manner of things that they expect others to pay for then the line between what is theirs and what they simply want becomes blurred. When society does not step in and deny a right to x, y or z unless you work for it then we see some of what has happened today.

In a similar manner when we as a society refuse to actually punish thieves it emboldens them. The first thing that any thief should lose is his driver's license and any bank account, tax refund etc should be garnished to pay full compensation. If there is not enough there then peronal property should be sold to make restitution.

Theft is stealing the sweat of another man's brow, it is not a minor inconvenience and should be treated for the crime that it is. The unhappiness that it brings, the anger (see the OP) and the fact that it can ruin a person's sense of security seem to be ill recognized when many in society say "Well it was less than $50" or "He is just a teenager" or other such tripe.

But isn't that what we tell people on a daily basis?

When people claim a "right" to all manner of things that they expect others to pay for then the line between what is theirs and what they simply want becomes blurred. When society does not step in and deny a right to x, y or z unless you work for it then we see some of what has happened today.

In a similar manner when we as a society refuse to actually punish thieves it emboldens them. The first thing that any thief should lose is his driver's license and any bank account, tax refund etc should be garnished to pay full compensation. If there is not enough there then peronal property should be sold to make restitution.

Theft is stealing the sweat of another man's brow, it is not a minor inconvenience and should be treated for the crime that it is. The unhappiness that it brings, the anger (see the OP) and the fact that it can ruin a person's sense of security seem to be ill recognized when many in society say "Well it was less than $50" or "He is just a teenager" or other such tripe.

I can't argue with anything you said.