Menu

Creativity Challenge: How can we reduce health care costs in America?

I do think social security and medicare are successes.

Have you seen the budget projections on these? I think the figure is that by 2020, our budget would cover ONLY social security, medicare, and interest on the debt, with no money for the other essential federal services. (I'm not sure on the specific year; it could be sooner now with all of these "stimuli.") If it's not sustainable, how can it be a success?

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both of those benefits cost tax money. They are related problems. France's riots were caused by increasing the retirement age. America's current situation is that we already have our budget spiraling out of control based on Social Security and Medicare. Medicare, health coverage for only the elderly, is 7 times the problem of Social Security (or at least it was as of about 2007; maybe the proportions are different now). As it is we are looking at the budget covering ONLY social security, medicare, and interest on the debt by--2020, I think? There is no way we can afford a massive new entitlement, especially if Medicare for the elderly only is such a huge part of the problem.

Actually I think we could afford social securiy and medicare for all if we do a couple of things. First, let the Bush tax cuts expire IMHO. I would also give medicare the ability to determine rates for drugs instead of kow towing to the drug companies and paying whatever they want IMHO. I think if we funneled even a fraction of the money that we are all paying for health care now into medicare for all, then we could easily pay for medicare for all (universal healthcare) IMHO. Medicare's overhead is significantly less than private insurance overhead since they do not have anyone making millions of dollars on the federal pay roll. As for efficiency, my local blue cross would make anyone want to shoot themselves over their inefficiency IMHO:glare: I would also tax social security up to the highest incomes instead of capping it at an income of $110,000. Of course, we should also cut any waste as well.

Edited by priscilla
grammar

I used to work at a summer camp for kids who generally come from low socioeconimic strata. I got to know these kids pretty well over the years, and many of these kids had huge behavior issues at home and school, got in trouble with the law, used drugs or alcohol, got into fights, and generally caused all kinds of mayhem. But when they came to camp, an environment dedicated to loving them, warts and all, we got to see them as they truly were: kids who wanted love, kids who had love to give, kids who just wanted to be happy and have fun.

I'm sure some/many of these kids grew up to be the kind of people the earlier poster has no respect for. I find it heartbreaking that someone would look at another person and deem them worthless. :(

Tara

:iagree:

That is *exactly* what I meant. Love can cure a lot of ills. If we can look past people's flaws/mistakes/weaknesses and truly care about the person behind the "walls" we can make a difference in someone's life. Trust me, it isn't easy. I had to break contact with a set of neighbor siblings for my dc's sake and I *still* wish it could be different. Thankfully another neighbor (with no kids) has taken our place, but all they really need is love and care.

Blaming your past and using it as an excuse, no. But me being able to summon up a little empathy for someone who had it rough isn't too hard. I know how bad things can be for people and I realize that some people just can't ever rise above it. And, regardless of how stong a person is, it can still reach up and drag you down sometimes.

There is someone in my family who had a horrid childhood. She never really got over it and I feel sadness for her. OTOH, her sisters have fared much better than she.

My aunt used to be very judgemental against poor people and the problems that tend to co-exist with poverty. After working with people through her church, she realized at 65 how much of the success in her life she could thank her parents for.

:iagree: