Menu

Any cons to Analytical Grammar

cabdriver

Greetings!

I have heard many positives about Analytical Grammar on these boards. For those of you that have used this curriculum-

Are there any negatives ?

I am seriously considering this for my DD-13. I will be waiting for all replies before I purchase.

Thanks!!!

Yup.

Its fairly dry.

My kid don't relate to the content of the sentences very well (but we are Australian and they have a lot of U.S. cultural history in them).

Even though the program is only for 10 weeks a year.....it is a lot of work for those 10 weeks. If we did the program as is, it would take probably 60-90 minutes most days. I guess thats reasonable considering its only 10 weeks, but, its good to keep it in mind and give time for it. And, maybe my kids are just slow!

The print of the sentences is too small to easily write above the words(you label them), and theres a gap in between the sentences but its not really enough to do a sentence diagram unless you write teeny weeny. More space altogether would have made the program much more user friendly.

I still like it, but I tend to give smaller amounts over a longer time, because it's just too much grammar for one day around here, as well as skip one of the 3 worksheets if they seem to have understood the concept.

My younger wasn't ready for it although age wise he should have been. I am leaving it another year for him. It's really his handwriting that has held him back with it...I was rewriting it all on the computer in a bigger font and lots of space for the diagrams....but after spending that much money on AG, I decided I shouldn't be working that hard, and am waiting for a bit more maturity with him.

You asked for the cons. There are plenty of pros too. I am not overall unhappy with the program...these are just my gripes with it.

Greetings!

I have heard many positives about Analytical Grammar on these boards. For those of you that have used this curriculum-

Are there any negatives ?

I am seriously considering this for my DD-13. I will be waiting for all replies before I purchase.

Thanks!!!

I have not found any... I like it, my girls dont mind it, and they are learning it and remembering.... So.. nope, no cons here :D

I have not found any... I like it, my girls dont mind it, and they are learning it and remembering.... So.. nope, no cons here :D

Peela mentioned long lessons - has this been a problem for you? May I ask how old your girls are?

Thanks!

Peela mentioned long lessons - has this been a problem for you? May I ask how old your girls are?

Thanks!

My girls are 11 and 16. My 11 year used JAG this year, but will move to AG next year. She will be 12 by then.

As for time, I go over the lesson with my daughter. With my involvement and her doing the work it might take 40-50 minutes... an hour would be pushing it... we use it as written. My involvement per day is about 10-15 minutes.... explaining, and or going over things that she missed the previous day... and introducing a new lesson. She is then left to accomplish this on her own and I begin the same thing with my younger daughter.

For me its not time consuming at all, the girls do all the work.

HTH~

Unfortunately I won't be able to get to any of the curriculum fairs that actually have the program so your feedback helps soooo much.

I find most grammar to be dry, I'm not sure if this program is worse or if that is just an inherent problem with grammar instruction.

Any other comments are greatly appreciated. Based on another post I may also be looking at JAG for my 11 yr old!

I am doing JAG with my 10yo and it is going well. I am not sure how long it takes her, but it only takes me about 5-10 mins to look over things and discuss any problem areas. I am also not worried about doing it "on schedule". That means that if something is talking a while then we will set it aside and finish it the next day. If she had a lot of problems with a section I might erase it all or type it into Word and have her start all over again.

Heather