Menu

Anybody do "The Elf on the Shelf"??

We love Elf on the Shelf and are proud to have been "early adopters of the EOTS. We met the illustrator at a local art show just after the book was released, the year before it made it into Borders and every other store in town. We have since given it to many families as soon as their kids are old enough to enjoy it.

Anyways, I have never seen EOTS discounted unless you have a Borders coupon good for anything in the store. I don't know if all Borders stores carry it, but perhaps ours does only because the author and illustrator are local.

Our EOTS has gone from just hiding in a different place every night to playing tricks or making messes. For example, the elf wrote on the bathroom mirror with toothpaste one night. (FYI: Elves are bad spellers.) Another night, he got a head start on cookie-baking and was found to have made a mess in the kitchen. Sometimes, our elf e-mails his report to Santa and leaves it up on the computer. He sometimes writes reports on the non-child family members. (Mom has always gotten a positively glowing report from our elf. ;))

EOTS is one of our favorite Christmas traditions. Even though my oldest is 13, she still looks forward to the coming of the elf.

Terri

I don't know what this is so I'd like some details. Of course, it's a good thing that the gig is already up on the tooth fairy at my house because DH and I don't remember that at all. Oops. We had two mornings in a row where DSD came in and asked us if we forgot something!!!

I don't know what this is so I'd like some details. Of course, it's a good thing that the gig is already up on the tooth fairy at my house because DH and I don't remember that at all. Oops. We had two mornings in a row where DSD came in and asked us if we forgot something!!!

me too...this sounds fun...how does it work??

www.elfontheshelf.com

The elf comes out after Thanksgiving or so and spies on the children. Every night, he flies back to Santa and gives them a report. He flies back to a different spot every morning, so the kids run around and look for him as soon as they get up. Sometimes he is in refrigerator (with a blanket, of course), in one the kids' bedrooms, or just out in the open. The storybook that comes with the elf is beautifully illustrated and tells the story much more charmingly than I did.

It is very sweet story, and at least he sticks around long enough that you can get in the habit of moving him, unlike the Tooth Fairy. We are all sad to see our elf go back to the North Pole on Christmas Eve night.

Terri

I am not telling anyone our elf's name, 'cause it's so good that I just know everyone would steal it. Suffice it to say that he is named after a reltively obscure character in one of the Narnia books. And it is not Trumpkin, though that would be a fine name for an elf. Nor is it Reepicheep, also a fine elf name.

Terri

we do elf on the shelf, but in a very silly way. our elf is incredibly naughty! it will roll toilet paper all over the house, it ate all of the chips and left a huge mess in the den, one night it drank all of the juice boxes and threw them around the kitchen, it wrote a note in ketchup on the counter, etc. my kids think it's lots of fun. the next day the elf is always hidden somewhere & has 2 candy canes for my children.

Our EOTS has gone from just hiding in a different place every night to playing tricks or making messes. For example, the elf wrote on the bathroom mirror with toothpaste one night. (FYI: Elves are bad spellers.) Another night, he got a head start on cookie-baking and was found to have made a mess in the kitchen. Sometimes, our elf e-mails his report to Santa and leaves it up on the computer. He sometimes writes reports on the non-child family members. (Mom has always gotten a positively glowing report from our elf. ;))

love these ideas!!