Menu

Teaching Co. (Great Courses) sale: ALL Math & Science courses (x-post)

All math & science courses on sale at Teaching Co until tomorrow night (11/4 @ midnight Eastern time)

Priority Code: 49432

Coupon codes for shipping:

FNFV = $4.95 shipping on any order (not sure of expiration, but it's working today)

PGRM = free shipping on any order over $150 (expires 12/14)

ETA: If you're looking for history courses instead, Priority Code 47843 should get sale prices on most (all?) Ancient & Medieval History courses (expires 11/18). The same shipping codes will work.

Jackie

Get thee back to thy teaching, oh wicked temptress and stop posting these alluring threads designed to ensnare the feeble-minded, weak-willed TC addicts such as myself.:tongue_smilie:

That nice thick catalog with the pretty stained-glass windows on it arrived at your house today, didn't it, Jackie?

Who me? :D

Yep, the new catalog arrived, along with an email with the code for the math & science courses. DS has convinced me to get him Great Battles of the Ancient World. I've been looking at the Lukeion "workshop" courses as well (the short 4-lecture ones) on ancient warfare, which I think I'll sign DS up for in January. I'm not sure we'll make it to the fall of Rome by next spring, the way things are going! (I should post pix of him in his Spartan Hoplite Halloween costume....)

Jackie

Okay, Lisa, which ones have you got? Which ones are you drooling over? I just received our very first, The Physics of Everyday Life. Haven't yet watched it, as dd is going through a musicals spell. Jenn W loaned me Great Books in the Western Canon; I'll hole up and watch some of it the rest of the week as we suffer through our ridiculous and hard-to-bear November heat of 100 degrees.

Jackie, the course on great ancient battles sounds absolutely tailor-made for your son; they had to have him in mind when they put that one together.

Has anyone seen the course on musical theater history? We loved the PBS version and DD wants more, but I'd like to hear from someone who has seen it before I take the plunge.

We are at Lecture 12 of The Medieval World with Dorsey Armstrong from Purdue and Swimmer Dude enjoys them. I must admit though, in our family, Terry Jones' Medieval Lives generated a considerable amount of conversation especially about that line of history belonging to the victor. Dd's 3 favorite ones are People and Cultures of the World (on loan from Jackie), The Foundations of Western Civilization, and The Iliad. She did stop with The Iliad lectures at Lecture 3 because dd wanted to finish the book and be surprised with the ending.

While the presenter is not quite as good as both the anthropology and western civ. professor, I personally do like The History of World Literature. We have a couple other series on audio download, but I now know why 8filltheheart wouldn't give all the gritty details; it is a significant investment.

If money were no object:

MeThe Nature of Earth: An Introduction to Geology

Classics of Russian Literature

Building Great Sentences: Exploring the Writer's Craft

Classics of American Literature

William Shakespeare: Comedies, Histories, Tragedies

Masterpieces of the Imaginative Mind: Literature's Most Fantastic Works

Math Problems-Made Clear

The Joy of Mathematics

Swimmer Dude

Earth at the Crossroads: Understanding the Ecology of a Changing Planet

The Theory oif Evolution: A History of Controversy

Cosmology: The History and Nature of Our Universe

The Darwinian Revolution

Princess

The Cathedral

The Old Testament

A History of European Art

From Monet to Van Gogh: A History of Impressionism

Museum Masterpieces: The Louvre

Museum Masterpieces: The Metropolitan Museum of Art

Obviously we need to win the lottery. There was a new one on evolution that the Dude wanted too. Fortunately, I can't find that title.:tongue_smilie:

I am looking forward to seeing what lectures others have enjoyed.

I must admit though, in our family, Terry Jones' Medieval Lives generated a considerable amount of conversation especially about that line of history belonging to the victor.

Dd ate these up and we, too, had some wonderful conversations about them, in particular about how historical myths and misconceptions arise in the first place; this also came to bear on our discussions of Richard III and the original source material Shakespeare used, and how Richard came to be so maligned. We also had some discussions about how many examples or exceptions it takes before one can be said to have dismantled a myth.

Somehow I can't imagine the TC lectures having the same impact.

I am very, very impressed at what your kids are watching and enjoying, though. It was great to see separate lists for the three of you; your different interests, concerns, and personalities really shine through.

Edited to add: If your kids were struck by the line about the victor writing history, your dd in particular might like the discussion near the end of Jane Austen's Persuasion where there is a similar discussion about how history would be different if it were written by women.

I own way to many of these, but these titles are our absolute favorites so far:

History of the United States

History of Hitler's Empire

all of the astronomy lectures (we own 4 different lectures and all of them have been great)

St. Augustine's Confessions

Joy of Mathematics

My ds is like a kid in a candy shop when the new catalog arrives. He begged me yesterday to get him the Blackholes Explained lectures, but woe, his mother had to tell him no this time around. ;)

I own way to many of these, but these titles are our absolute favorites so far:

History of the United States

History of Hitler's Empire

all of the astronomy lectures (we own 4 different lectures and all of them have been great)

St. Augustine's Confessions

Joy of Mathematics

My ds is like a kid in a candy shop when the new catalog arrives. He begged me yesterday to get him the Blackholes Explained lectures, but woe, his mother had to tell him no this time around. ;)

What are the other three astronomy lectures besides Our Night Sky (which I do have)?

I have to admit that my heart beats faster every time those catalogs arrive-which is every other day.:tongue_smilie:Perhaps because at this season of my life, I am home more than wandering spirit can sometimes tolerate. TC lectures are my window to the world for the time being.

I'm tempted to buy The Iliad. $19.95! The problem is, I'm not sure we're even going to read The Iliad! :D

Our plan for The Iliad fell into place accidentally. My dd (12th grade) prepared for the book by reading in The Trojan War by Olivia Coolidge, but only up to the part where The Iliad starts with "The Wrath of Achilles." We had also discussed the traits of epics, how they had evolved, and translation issues.

My dd has an ongoing myth project this year where she is reading world myths and answering questions and developing essays on her own from Mythology: A Teaching Unit. This isn't rocket science but it does tie loose ends together.

My dd loves the TC lectures on The Iliad, but will finish them when she completes the book. We have discovered that like me, she would rather read through the book and make a few pertinent notes on the things that inspired her and then go back and do the analysis work. We are using The Learning Center's curriculum unit for organizing her thoughts since she will be writing a literary response for MCT Advanced Writing. More than you wanted to know. It's just one way to work through it and so far, we are pleased. Have fun. No one here would miss it.

What are the other three astronomy lectures besides Our Night Sky (which I do have)?

I was wrong....we only have 3. I asked ds which are the ones he loves and his response was "Our Night Sky, My Favorite Universe, Understanding the Universe, and Black Holes Explained which I unfortunately don't own b/c I really want to understand more about black holes." :lol: (Geesh, I may end up having to break down and get the darn things for him if he keeps it up!! He looked like a sad little puppy dog. ;))

Anyway, he said that My Favorite Universe and Understanding the Universe are very different from Our Night Sky. My Favorite Universe is more of an overview of what Understanding the Universe goes into in great depth. He loves UtU but says that some of the physics goes over his head.

FWIW, I watched several of the MFU lectures with him and I enjoyed Professor Tyson's explanations.

Lisa,

In case you wondered how my ds feels about the various astronomy lectures........he just brought me a $20 bill. His proposition......."Will you buy the black holes' lectures if I pay for 1/2?" (I need a puppy dog smilie with great big puppy dog eyes!!)

Gosh. Who can resist a kid begging for more lectures?? :lol: Guess I'll be able to tell you about those in a few weeks!!:D

I do love Teaching Company... but I really wish they would sell downloads as an option. It makes me annoyed enough to avoid their catalogs.

They do. :confused:

Many (most?) of their courses are available as audio downloads. Some are so graphics-heavy that audio courses wouldn't make sense, but many are available as downloads. By combining sale prices and coupons, I've gotten some of the shorter courses (like Vandiver's Illiad & Odyssey courses) for as little as $10.

Jackie

Hey, thanks! Last time I had been shopping (maybe a year or so ago?) none of the courses I wanted had a listing for download. Hmmm.... some I'm intersted in do, but others, no. I'll brows what they have. I want some of those math ones on downloadable video! Thank you again!

Edited by Kay in Cal