Menu

QF families - What curriculum do you use?

Shoshana

I'm a quiverfull mom of eight and am currently in the process of switching from the traditional homeschool curriculum we've been using to a more classical approach. Gosh, there is a lot of curricula on the market! I'd love to know what other QF families (or large families in general) are using.

Thanks!

I try to use things that are easily combined such as TOG for history( SOTW it great for combined ages of elementary children and my middle schoolers enjoyed listening in too), library books for science or Apologia, Latin For Children and Henle for latin, IEW for writing and so on. They each do english and math at their own level unless I have two that are at the same ability level, then I combine.

We are using My Father's World (this is our second year). I really like this curriculum, mainly because it allows me to keep my second through eighth graders together. We also use it for high school though that is split off from the others.

We use Saxon for math, Phonics Road for language arts, and Apologia for science once they hit seventh grade. I'm in the process of switching our science from the suggestions in MFW to Elemental Science because it seems like a better fit.

Congratulations on number nine!

Over the years I've narrowed it down to material and an approach that is very efficient and effective for us-

-Classical Conversations Foundation guide

-Science and History alternate by month (or quarter) with all children K-6 doing the same topic. I roughly follow the CC guide for topics, read once a week from a textbook on that topic and then fill a basket with related library books. Usually we are on the same time period or science topic for a few weeks. The kids have 20-30 minutes a day to read about the topic from the basket, filling out a form or survey so I can keep track. They tell what they learned around the dinner table. Very simple for me and very effective for long term retention of critical material. I provide extra projects and activities from a gifted resource for one child.

We also work through the Memoria Press Guides for Myths, FM Greece, FM Rome essentially 1 a year including memory and map work.

-Language Arts-Foundations for memorization, MCT and IEW. Some years I throw in a grammar workbook (Abeka, Seton, etc) for traditional review and punctuation.

-Literature One novel study a quarter using a guide for grades 4 and up (e.g., progeny press), in between they may be assigned a challenging reader, historical fiction, or another piece of good literature which they narrate a few times a week.

-Math you've probably already found your favorite

-Arts This year I'm following the Foundations Guide. Last year we used art lessons from the library and videos of composers

-Religion Memoria's Christian Studies (Bible History) and our own catechism for lower grades.

Edited by love2read

Thanks for sharing!

I'm currently looking at:

History: TOG, MOH, MFW, Biblioplan (I really don't know!)

Science: Apologia, God's Design (??)

English: Rod and Staff Grammar, A Reason for Handwriting and A Reason for Spelling, writing (??)

Latin: Latina Christiana (not sure about 4th grader)

French: The Easy French

Math: probably continue with Abeka

Bible: just read it? other study guide? curriculum?

Music: Piano

Logic: Fallacy Detective

Thanks for sharing!

I'm currently looking at:

History: TOG, MOH, MFW, Biblioplan (I really don't know!)

Science: Apologia, God's Design (??)

English: Rod and Staff Grammar, A Reason for Handwriting and A Reason for Spelling, writing (??)

Latin: Latina Christiana (not sure about 4th grader)

French: The Easy French

Math: probably continue with Abeka

Bible: just read it? other study guide? curriculum?

Music: Piano

Logic: Fallacy Detective

Welcome Mama... We're expecting our tenth. :)

Here's what we're using:

History: TOG

English: Rod & Staff - this is something we've used in the past, switched, and now are going back to. I've found that R&S gets the job done and lets the kids work independently... I LOVE working with my kids but what they CAN do without hand-holding is a very good thing. :D

Latin - Latina Christiana - Prima & I and now our oldest is using Henle

French - I'm sorry, I can't help here.

Math - Saxon although I was also happy with Rod & Staff.

Bible: We read it. :)

Music - Piano & Guitar - depends on which child.

Logic - We've just gotten the Fallacy Detective from the library but I am going to be looking for something a little more formal and structured.

HTH! Feel free to PM me, but I am SLOW at responding these days so you might wait a week. :)

I'm not qf, but I want to rally in support of God's Design... materials. I think they'd be easy to use with multiple ages and my dd likes them much better than Apologia.

Just my .02. :001_smile:

We are using this curriculum as our science spine and really enjoy it.

We are quiverful and due with number 7 in Jan.

We also use www.amblesideonline.org and www.oldfashionededucation.com and Sonlight selections for Literature and History suppliments.

For history, our spine is Mystery of History.

Math we use Math-U-See and Ray's.

LA we use Charlotte Mason theories but have recently started adding in WTM grammar and writing recommendations using FFL and WWE.

Latin I am using Prima Latina for eveyone right now. Will be using their other programs once this one is done.

Thinking.... :lol:

It this your littles grades? Still thinking for you. :) We found WTM later but had been doing CM before that, so I have some experience with starting late. :D

DD 13 (7th)

DS 9 (4th)

DD 7(2nd)

DD 5 (K)

Primary/Littles:

DS 4, DS 3, DS 2, DD 13 months, and expecting number nine in April.