Menu

Standardized Tests ?

We have to test after 3rd grade. We used the Seton CAT test last year, but I was not too enthused about the test result sheet. I was expecting something more akin to what I received when I was in school with the grade level equivalent. Their results sheet was more or less amount correct out of amount given and a stanine.

I want to do a test that I can give so I am wondering if CLP's CAT test results are much different than Seton's. I am also looking at the PASS test. Are these more typical result sheets?

The Pass test is more informative and we used that one year. We also did the IOWA one year, but I already knew the kid's weak areas and have found it easier to just go with the lower cost Seton test. I've never gotten results back and thought, "Gee, I didn't know they had trouble identifying common nouns." ;)

The Pass test is more informative and we used that one year. We also did the IOWA one year, but I already knew the kid's weak areas and have found it easier to just go with the lower cost Seton test. I've never gotten results back and thought, "Gee, I didn't know they had trouble identifying common nouns." ;)

To be honest, the Seton tests seemed rather easy compared to the state test that my dd had done at public school the year prior. I didn't see where it showed me anything of a breakdown of the categories and really didn't have a lot of questions for each section in order to gauge weak areas. There were maybe 20 in a section and maybe 3-4 on each skill.

I have thought about CLP's b/c it is based on the 1970's standards which (sad though it may be to say) appear to be more demanding than the newer standards.

I had read that the PASS actually compares norms to ps peers as well as homeschool peers and that interests me as well. We do have to test, but I would like the test to reflect standards that are closer to what I am trying to achieve with the kids education. I did not feel that the newer CAT test was very informative. I did find out that math computations was a weak area, however it did not tell me what area of math computations needed the most work. Was it the addition, subtraction, multiplication, or division? or was it using fractions with these concepts? So I would have found a breakdown much more illuminating in our weak areas and it may have helped me to plan our math better.

So I guess, yes, I am asking which testing gives the best breakdown by individual skills under the subjects. Is the older CAT better if that is what you seek? Or is the PASS better b/c it is comparing to homeschool norms?

Edited by OpenMinded

I'm not sure what's best. It probably depends on what you're wanting to find out. I used the PASS test because it was easy to get and administer to my test phobic ds. I felt it did give me information and confirmed some things I knew. I liked that it compared hs kids and ps kids. I wish it had history and science included like the Iowa test though. I'll probably use PASS again this year to see if we've remediated low areas and move on to something else when he finally hits middle school.

Yeah, see, the way I see it is that an involved parent and especially a homeschooling one already KNOWS their child's academic strengths and weaknesses. I can't stand the idea of standardized testing, but in some states it's a legality. So if I'm going to give a test JUST to satisfy the law/school district, I'm going to go with the one that's the most painless for my child.

I've seen how stressful the school administered test was for her, when she took the PSSA's in third grade and had stomach aches and cried and got all stressed out.

So now that we're homeschooling, this year (5th grade, required testing year), I'll absolutely be using the CAT from Seton. It's an easier test? Good! I want something non-stressful for her. And something that will satisfy the requirements of the law and the school district so we can get it over with and go about our lives. But as for me? I've decided that I don't need to prove to myself with detailed test result sheets what she's strong or weak in. I already know.

I agree, the the shorter CAT doesn't tell you much and we use it because of state requirements. The Iowa and CAT/5 provided the most information by topic, but I still didn't find it gave information beyond what I already knew from observations. I don't remember the Pass or any of the others breaking it down by addition, subtraction, fractions etc. It was always computation, concepts, application, word problems at best. On a few sites it looks like the Terranova 3 is going to replace the Cat/5. Maybe that will be a better alternative.

Can you give the Iowa? The way the results were broken down on that test was a zillion times more useful than the CAT-E one.

I agree that the Iowa's score sheet has much more useful info; however, when testing multiple kids, it gets to be so costly, and Seton's CAT is so much cheaper. I have given both, and my kids scored almost identically on both, telling me that there isn't much difference.