Menu

Interesting sociological experiment

It seems you are disagreeing with me on the basis that many people misunderstand Muslims. I wouldn't have an issue at all with you or anyone else being Muslim. I just happen to know why Muslim women cover up, so I wouldn't have a need to discuss it. I wouldn't need to ask the question. By hanging out with you regularly, it would mean that I am able to have a friendship with you despite the fact that we have different worldviews. You would know by looking at me that we have different world views. You probably wouldn't ask me why I am wearing jeans and not wearing a headcover. I don't ask women why they don't wear bras. These things all just seem so obvious to me.

Now, if I didn't know you and I didn't know the various styles of headcovering, I might ask to find out whether you were Christian or Muslim.

It may also be that worldviews are more important in your friendships than they are in other womens' lives. I have some Christian friends, and when we get together (which isn't often), we usually end up talking about homeschooling or what's been happening. The same goes for my more religiously confused friend. We've discussed our faith, but because she is not a Christian, I don't share my practices with her. She knows my belief, but I respect that she doesn't want to hear me telling her that she should live her life like I live mine. I just don't have a need to share my convictions on dress code, etc. with people unless the conversation comes about. I'll mention it when a possibility of a pool party comes up, but I won't tell people I don't mix swim until it becomes an issue.

In summary, I pick up a person's worlview without having to ask specific questions. I find out a lot about a person's worldview by what they say and do. Headcoverings answer that worldview question all on their own. If you wanted to tell me more about your headcovering, fine. What I've learned is that if I start telling someone why I was dresses only (when I was), it came across as I was hinting that they should be dresses only. I had my neighbor say to me once that she knew I was dresses only and assumed it was part of my Christianity. She never asked me about it or anything, but she's been around enough to know that this is sometimes a custom among Christians. So, we talked about it, but only because she made a point of mentioning it. I had no need to mention it to her before, and I never felt the need to ask her why she wore pants.

I understand that there may be tensions and misunderstandings because of the terrorism that exists. The Crusades paint a bad picture of Christianity. I am sure people in the Middle Ages made an immediate connection between Christians and militanism. The Crusaders used their religion to justify their actions, so I am sure this gave people a skewed picture of Christianity. The same thing is happening today. I think what would dissuage the fears of people would be an explanation as to why the militant Muslims are disobeying their scripture. That, I believe, is where most of the confusion lies.

I also think that when your friends see that you have a happy, healthy marriage in which you are not kept in chains, they will naturally see that being a female Muslim does not mean being powerless. I agree that there is much confusion about these things. We had friends who were missionaries in Chad for about a decade. They adopted the dress customs of their peers. It was confusing to find out that people were physically harmed for converting to Christianity. It was confusing to hear about the lack of rights the women had. I think explaining the judicial system to non-Muslims and how it varies among Muslims would be very beneficial.

I beg to disagree strongly with this sentiment. I am trying to understand my fellow mother, friend, neighbour, human being and break down misunderstandings and misconceptions. I get it personally that Christians and Jews can choose to wear the cover. OK, let me tell you this. If you met me in person then without a doubt religion would come up. I would need to know if we were regularly hanging out what your world view is because to me that is part of who you are and on what your values are built. It is nothing more than that. I have acquaintances who are anything under the sun and we have fun and deep conversations, both parties respectful of the other's viewpoints and value-system.

For strangers on the street asking me, then, gosh, considering how much attention and misunderstood issues are shown in the media, then I'd much rather have invasion of my privacy and chat with some stranger than go away and having made no or only a curious impression. Does that make sense? I try to teach my kids that their examples in public might be the only exposure someone has of a Muslim apart from the stereotype, so they should try to be mindful of that. Comes back to open communication.

Got ya, Dawn. I meant when people don't know eachother. All that said, then I can have fun and hang around my non-Muslim friends, but when we know eachother's religious foundation (or a-religious), then there are certain things we can discuss without being presumptious. I mean, I don't share everyone's values or ethics and thus can abnter and joke, but not necessarily discuss deeper child-rearing issues or homeschooling with someone with whom we differ strongly.

So, great for you and all of us who know a bit about different religions and religous practices which, however, is not everyone. It is so true that when people see someone live a great and happy life that that would help break down stereotypes, but believe me, as a Muslim woman I often have to s-p-e-l-l things out. There are certainly tons of people who knows and just interacts normally and I enjoy that!

Aren't those ladies wearing turbans Ghanian? My Somali friends wear regular cover with only a very few wearing it "Indian-style" with the ears showing.

I don't know. This was years ago when I lived on the other side of town. There was a large Somalian community so I guess I assumed this lady was too. It isn't really a polite question to ask, and would have only been idle curiosity on my part, not something important. We used to talk about her henna instead :) She used to henna the pads of her fingers. It's an odd look, I think, but a woman who can wear bright yellow and look great in it can put whatever she wants on her fingers and still look great. :)

Rosie