Menu

Spelling

jcgonczi

I am working on reading with my 5yo using The Ordinary Parent's Guide To Reading. We are still in beginning, and all is well so far. We are new to homeschooling, and looking ahead I have a question. When do you start working on spelling and grammer? My thinking is once your child can read and you you have moved onto comprehension of what they are reading. Is that correct? And where would I look for spelling and grammer curriculums that work well with learning to read with phonics.

THANKS!

I used OPG with my dd as well and I started a spelling program when we were a bit over halfway through the book. She was past the 'sounding out' stage of reading at that point.

Just remembered - WTM store has a faqs page that answers this question. Here it is (you'll need to scroll to the bottom of the page).

We're using OPGTR, too. DD is a good reader (we're on lessong70 something I think?). I guess she's a natural reader so, when we get to the explanations of what sound the "a" in "cage" makes because of the silent "e", she tunes out. She knows what it says and doesn't care why. I was worried BUT we just start AAS this year and it goes along really welly with OPGTR. I'm letting her forge ahead with OPGTR knowing that we are going to drill the "why" in AAS.

FYI, dd had a firm phonics foundation and read easy readers without a problem before we moved to spelling.

I like to add in spelling with the phonics--I have found that it helps teach the phonics to a higher level and is a very efficient way of teaching. I find that 1 word spelled has about the same impact as 10 words read.

For a child that is not writing well, you can do oral spelling or "written" spelling with magnetic letters.

At first, you may need to give hints and over emphasize the sound of each letter, but eventually, they will start to get it.

I start by spelling words that have been recently read, then move on to words that are phonetically the same but have not been recently read. (Start with reading cat, mat, man, then have them spell mat. Then, once they get good at spelling, read sip, sit, and pig and have them spell lip.)

I start spelling in 1st grade with Spelling Workout and grammar in 1st grade with First Language Lessons. But reading, copywork, etc. emphasize proper spelling and grammar as well, and I start that whenever the kid is ready.