Menu

My 2 and a half year old...

Marsha

Have you looked at KUMON workbooks and things? We have a bunch of the First Steps workbooks and the wipe off capital ABC cards. My two little guys (ages 3 and 2) love them. Barnes and Noble usually has a great selection and Target carries some now as well.

Another option is the letter of the week prep curriculum which is FREE online.

Are you looking for workbooks or games? My dc are 3 and almost 2. Both of them love math manipulatives. Some favorites are Funtastic Frogs with activity cards, geoboards (for the 3yo), pattern blocks, and a bucket balance. I also am playing some pre-reading games with my dd from SWR and Montessori Read and Write. DD has fun with workbooks but she doesn't seem to learn anything from them. They can be good reinforcement activities for me to do with her after she already knows a concept. Mostly she just loves to play interactive games with me. She is learning a ton and having a great time too. :)

My 3yo has a "preschool time" in the morning where we read books and do different activities. I original started this with my 2nd dd when she was 2 because she was asking for her own school time.

As far as books, we really enjoy the Kumon books for the 2 year old. We have used Let's Cut Paper!, Let's Color!, Let's Stick and Paste, and recently bought More Let's Cut Paper because that's Benny's favorite.

HTH

My just-turned 3 yr. old has been the same way this school year..."When will you teach ME, Mommy?" In desperation one day b/c I felt sorry for him I grabbed one of his big sister's preschool workbooks (just one from Walmart or somewhere) and made up some things to "teach" him on a page. I think I had him circle some things and we counted something on the page. At least for us, anything that I sit with him and do he thinks is his school. So since I've had our new baby I've really been trying to do 15 minutes or so where I make everyone else stay out and it's his turn for "school." We look at Richard Scarry books alot and play "Do you see the mouse holding the red balloon?" etc. He loves it and it has really helped his behavior and patience when the others are doing their work. So sad that it took me until now to carve out this time for him and it really takes so little to make him feel big and special and fill up that tank! Sorry I'm rambling...My big kids just left for their grandparents for the weekend and I don't know what to do with myself! Plus, I haven't posted in so long I feel like I'm visiting long lost friends! :)

Anyway, I also let him play with counting bears and a muffin tin (put all red ones in this space, etc.) and we do have some Kumon books that I think are great. His favorite thing though is our lap-size dry erase board and a dry erase marker. Those are things that occupy him if he wants to work with the big kids. But he calls his "school" the time he and I are together. Love it!!! I hope any of that is helpful. You might want to look at Paula's archives for a wonderful, wonderful list of preschool activities. If I knew how to link I would, but you can google "Paula's archives" and the website will come up. Sorry again for rambling I hope some of what I said is helpful.

Have a great weekend!

Katie

mommy to ds 7, dd 4 1/2, ds 3, dd 4 mo.

My 2 1/2 yo likes her Lauri toys, coloring while the older dc do their work, playing with the dino counters, cutting scraps of paper and participating in my ds5's MFW kindergarten lessons. Read lots of books (I'm sure you do that anyway!). Wipe off boards are great fun at this age. Wipe off books for letters and number are fun, too.