Menu

paper storage

mia78

Can anyone tell me how you store paper in your homes? I have three sets of handwriting paper, multipurpose printer paper, and lined notebook paper. I also have a destructive toddler. So far, I've kept him out of the paper for now, but I really need a better storage solution. Any tips?

I feel your pain!!!!

I have a portion of my paper in a Storage Pocket Chart that is hanging on the inside of the door in one of my tall cupboards. That paper is easy for the big kids to get on thier own, but when the doors are locked the toddlers can't get it.

My extra paper is stuffed in a cupboard, I have to pull it out to refill the pocket chart.

I bought it at http://www.orientaltrading.com

59_9024.jpg?resize(350x350)

IN-59/9024

Storage Pocket Chart

$14.95 Each

I have just recently seen it at Wal-mart and AC Moore, too. (Same price, no shipping)

We just use a set of desk paper holders (the plastic, stackable, office sort of thing--inbox/outbox...does that makes sense?) in our "school closet". The doors are bifold, so that keeps ds1 out. And I have a bunch of them...one for handwriting paper, one for construction paper, one for plain white drawing paper,...

Every now and then, I buy one or two of the 12 x 12 drawers, intended for scrapbooking. They will stack nicely in a non-toddler access room, or fit on a shelf. They move nicely so when we're working on something needing the paper, we can bring it to the table and return it easily. I have them filed by color, size, or prints, label the outside of the drawer w/ a sharpie (it comes off nicely with polish remover).

Every now and then, I buy one or two of the 12 x 12 drawers, intended for scrapbooking. They will stack nicely in a non-toddler access room, or fit on a shelf. They move nicely so when we're working on something needing the paper, we can bring it to the table and return it easily. I have them filed by color, size, or prints, label the outside of the drawer w/ a sharpie (it comes off nicely with polish remover).

This is what we use. I have some 12x12's for larger paper and some of the 8 1/2x11 for smaller paper. I have them stacked in a closest in our hallway that should be our linen closet but is our supply/games closet. I have construction paper in one drawer, handwriting paper in another, reg. lined paper in another, cardstock paper in another, etc. The smaller drawers are on our bookshelf where the kids can get to it and it has more lined paper, scrap white paper (paper from printer mistakes or whatever) that they can use to draw on, etc. and construction paper scraps (for use in projects, etc...we don't like to waste!). Another set has workbooks for my toddler, Ker and something else I forget!

My printer paper, copier paper and any other paper that the kids don't use are under my "desk" in this rolling IKEA shelf thing.

I use rubbermaid portable hanging file tote storage

http://www.business-supply.com/hanging-file-tote-storage-10-1-2-x11-x16-1-2-clear_RUB9A8600CLR_product.html?src=bizrate

I use one hanging file for the different colored construction paper. I use the label and mark it "Blue, "Red" (i put it in alphabetical order). This way dc know where to get what they need whenever creativity strikes.

I also have one for lined paper, graph paper that we made for math (with large squares for adding/subtracting big numbers), white paper, tracing paper....etc.

Although, I like JFS in IL's way better.

I have these plastic storage drawers. Each drawer is just big enough for a stack of paper to fit nicely. Each unit has three drawers. Some drawers contain paper, others contain books and other supplies. The drawers fit nicely on a shelf in a bookcase where both kids can reach the paper. The drawers don't lock, but I imagine that locking ones would work even beter.

I had to police the paper with an iron fist when I first set up the drawers, but after a few weeks, the toddler understood which paper she was and wasn't allowed to access. Now if I could just get her to take only one sheet at a time ....

Paper that isn't for kids to use (unprinted copy paper, card stock, etc.) I keep upstairs in a kid-free zone.

I use the plastic magazine holders (you can get cardboard ones too). I have about three of them for cardstock and construction paper. They work great because the kids can find the color they need without destroying the rest of the paper. They can easily see what color they want and pull it out. The holders don't take up a lot of room either.

I also use the stackable trays for notebook paper and copy paper.

I purchased a bunch of those upright magazine racks from an office supply store. They are plastic, or sometimes metal, and have usually have holes or a grid design in either side. These work well for large amounts of paper. For smaller amounts, like our special paper with colors or designs, I put them in folders in our file cabinet with labels so if they are working on special projects, like lapbooks, they can easily find what they need.

When mine were younger, I used those stackable trays for their lightweight handwriting paper, and they could easily be used for any type of paper.

Here is a link to the trays like I used, but I'm sure I just picked mine up at WalMart.

http://store.scrapbook.com/pepastpatr.html

Kim