Menu

How to go about Boy Scouts? Help.

So, some new aquaintances of ours told us about their boy scout troupe and dh would like to take ds tomorrow night to check it out. Is there protocol for such a thing? Can they just show up at the appointed meeting time/location? I have zero scouting experience.

Yes, just show up!

If you get there a little earlier, ask around to find out who is the Adult Leader and they can help you get the particulars for their troop, start paper work, and introduce your son to the boys.

Welcome to Scouting!

It's run by guys, KWIM? They can call first if they have a number, but no one will mind if they just show up. Expect it to be somewhat chaotic as far as getting info. Out of the chaos comes good things, just in a guy-run kind of way. :D

This is our first experience with scouts - and this guy-run business is driving me crazy!! My husband couldn't even tell me what time the meetings end!! Its so hard for me not to be in all the details!

You'll eventually need a shirt. Do not iron on the patches! They will eventually need to be changed/rearranged/updated. Sewing is a better choice - no need to do a super-seamstress job of it. Get a short sleeved shirt (can always be worn over another shirt in winter), and get it on the large side (to grow into).

If/when you need pants/shorts, check eBay - you can often find them for half-price; just be sure they are the current version.

If you thrift, start keeping an eye out for outdoors gear - clothes like a warm under-layer, good hiking boots, zip-off cargo pants, and a warm coat are good to have on hand. Note that anything you send camping may, upon return, either be a) lost, b) filthy, c) torn, or d) not exactly the same one you sent. (Thus the beauty of thrifting it in the first place.) This is all good, as it means they had a good time!

This is our first experience with scouts - and this guy-run business is driving me crazy!! My husband couldn't even tell me what time the meetings end!! Its so hard for me not to be in all the details!

I know what you mean! I found an experienced troop mom and got the scoop from her. But ultimately, it does help your ds to start to be responsible for getting details himself. Of course, what details they think are important and what you think is important are two different things LOL! Still, it's been a very worthwhile program for us, over the years, so do stick with it even if it drives you nuts! (And have your ds call his patrol leader or adult leader when he needs info.)

My dh is planning to attend with him! Do people just drop kids off? I was under the impression that scouting was a parent/child activity.

Thanks for the tips, gals.

I would have dh stay at least the first time. After that, in our troop, many dads are involved but some aren't. Some attend regularly and some go on outings as their schedule allows. I'm sure your troop will welcome your dh's involvement!