Menu

s/o long hair- nice styles

Some of the posts from the long hair thread made me think of my, very unstyled, long hair. I love having my hair long but most of the time I have it thrown back in a quick pony or twisted and held up with one of those claw things. Especially right now with a baby who is constantly grabbing at it with that impossible to open grip. I really would like to look put together but am afraid of cuts that are very time-consuming or that would require frequent trips to a salon. Does anyone have any ideas, styles, or tips? I am afraid that I am looking more and more like that overwhelmed mom with kids hanging all over :D I love them to pieces, but I would like to look nice, too.

Hard to say not knowing your face shape, hair texture, etc. but there are websites (I think) that allow you to upload a pic and try out different looks. (I've heard of these sites, but haven't tried um' myself, so I hope I'm not telling you some misinfo.).

If you do cut it, consider donating it to LOCKS OF LOVE charity where they use it to make wigs for kids with hair loss secondary to chemotherapy.

Good luck!

Does your hair have any body to it at all?

Eh, no not really. Pretty thin, too, although it is not scraggly looking. It does look pretty when it is just brushed out. Take care of the kids for a minute though and it is quickly a mess. Which leads to the ponytail. Oval face shape. Right now it is almost to my waist. I am comfortable going to a little past my shoulders, but it still just hangs there.

I have long hair, but rarely wear it down - I keep it long because I love putting it up!

There are lots of updo's (updos? updoes?) that look lovely and don't take long to do when you get the hang of them. Off the top of my head:

-a Gibson tuck

-a French roll

-a French fishtail braid, tucked under

-so, so many varieties of buns using hairsticks or hairforks

-a coronet braid (there are different versions of this you can do, depending on the length of your hair and your skill in braiding)

-this pretty thing, which takes all of five minutes and looks so elegant (this is how I'm wearing my hair right now - I just learned this one)

-a side part with both sides twisted, or rope-braided, or French-braided, and then the ends pinned up in a bun

-sock buns

-just about any variety of bun or ponytail with a scarf tied around your head like a headband - lends instant color and frames your face

And there are lots more.

This lady's youtube page is full of great hair tutorials, and though her hair is longer than most people's, I've found I can adjust her techniques for my length.

There are lots of resources if you look around, and you can spend time trying out different things, and seeing what you like and what you don't. But for me, wearing my hair long but having it up solves the frump problem, and without expensive cuts or chemical dyes. And it's a creative outlet. :)

If you need another forum, there are a ton of great tutorials and ideas over at The Long Hair Community :) for one of those nights where you can't sleep and have a few hours to get lost in the madness.

Like Britomart, I love wearing my hair up. I have coarse hair, so I use just regular chopsticks in lieu of pricier hairsticks (though I do have a few pretty hairsticks for nicer occasions). My daily hair involves a simple french roll or twist held in place with a pretty (thick) barrette and a few hairpins if I'm wearing my bangs back.