Menu

Name that math program? Pre-algebra and higher...

bethben

Ds needs review of fractions and just cementing some basics like order of operations before he moves to upper math. He will be completing Singapore 5B/6A this year. I would like a math program with a spiral review and GOOD word problems much like I've seen in Singapore math. I am looking for pre-algebra and beyond. Suggestions?

Beth

Ooh! Ooh! Life of Fred starts out with Decimals and Percents. :D

(I've bought the first few LoF books and I'm eagerly anticipating the time when I can pull them off the shelf for my dd).

ETA: It may not satisfy your requirements for a full program, but it sure would be a fun supplement to cement things before moving on.

I'm a fan of McDougal-Littell. I've taught their Middle School Math 2, Pre-Algebra, and Algebra. There are a lot of problems to choose from, so you can customize for the child's needs. The work builds in review, partly by having a few review problems to do, but also by actually using the concepts in further work. For example, there might be an area of a triangle problem in a section on how to use the distributive property with variables - the sides of the triangle would be things like (x-2). So there is review, but it's not tedious. The TE gives suggestions for "homework" for three levels of the course, Basic, Average, and Advanced. There are lots of support materials available too, so you can really mix it up and keep it interesting. There is a nice review section with sample problems at the end of each chapter.

I also like that their books are sort of half a year apart. So you can really choose the book that is at the right level, and skip one if need be. (For example, my class did MSM 2 last year, and they're skipping MSM3 with no problem this year. Had they done MSM3, they probably could have skipped Pre-Algebra.)

We use Lial's BCM for pre-algebra. It's not spiral, but it is written TO the student and covers basic math VERY well. It has a chapter on basic algebra. It's an excellent review before doing Alg. I. We've covered fractions extensively, and we've used order of operations many times. There isn't an chapter on order of operations, but they do explain it and expect the student to use it.

Although I haven't used it, I've heard that CLE has a newly reorganized Alg. I curriculum. We use CLE 5th grade math, and it is wonderful. CLE is spiral, and it gets wonderful reviews on TWTM Forum.