Menu

Sharpening Colored Pencils?

I've heard that about Prismacolor pencil crayons and I did buy their special sharpener to use with those. I will admit to using the 'ole electric sharpener for the everyday Crayola ones though. The way my kids go through them and use them, I don't have time to sharpen all those things by hand! :svengo:

It's just because the lead is softer, and easier to break. Some electric sharpeners grab onto the lead and twist it inside the pencil, breaking it. Others work just fine.

If you can sharpen your particular pencils in your particular sharpener without them breaking, go for it. You would know if you had a problem.

Thanks everyone.

I love the Hive, they know everything. :tongue_smilie: It has never been a problem for us.

I liked the video too!

Yes, we use the Prismacolor sharpener and replace them at least once a year so that we always have sharp ones on hand. Our kids draw and color a LOT. I think if you have cheap pencils with harder "lead" it's fine to use whatever works, although it seems to waste quite a bit of the pencil.

Another good brand is Alvin. Dick Blick sells them. I like the KUM line, but DB doesn't have all of them. You can sometimes find these at Michael's or Hobby Lobby.