Menu

Need suggestions for Christian history to go with SOTW2

Milknhoney

Planning early.... I'm in SOTW1 this year and doing it alongside Ergemeier's Bible Story Book. For next year, I'd like to do the same thing only with church history. The History Lives series looks like what I'm looking for, but it also looks like it might be too advanced even as a read-aloud for a 6.5yo. Would I be better off saving those for logic stage? That's what I'm leaning towards, except it leaves me with a void for next year. What are some good books about saints and other heros of the faith? (prefer Protestant viewpoint). Another concern I have to consider is that it is hard to find this sort of book at my public library (they are sorely lacking in Christian juvenile literature - is it just my town or do a lot of you have that problem?). Whatever I use I have to buy myself, which makes anthologies more practical than a hardcover picture book for each saint, KWIM?

I really don't know. I tried to fins some resources to go with SOTW 2 this year, resources that are Christian. So I took some ideas from Veritas PRess - like The CHurch in History, but it is too advanced for a second grader. I also got the Greenleaf Famous men of Middle Ages - it is not about the christian saints only, though.

Anyway, this was more work than I wanted to invest, so I quit using SOTW 2 - I may use some of the activities. I switched to Diana Waring plus some Veritas Press cards and books, and the Greenleaf book. Diana Waring material is much more christian, the first few chapters we used the Bible as the textbook - and I only bought the activity guide for $10. I have some of the read-alouds suggested by Veritas PRess and this is going to be it for this year.

History Lives when using SOTW 2, but our dc were 8 and 6 at the time. Ds 8 enjoyed the stories, but I don't think ds 6 got much out of them. In the end, I decided to save them for the logic stage, and ultimately I think that's the better choice. Some of the stories of the early martyrs have pretty horrific endings (at least from our earthly perspective) so did some editing when I read them.

Someone gave me a book called How the Bible Came to Us which provides an overview that might be a reasonable alternative for a 6.5 yo. It focuses more on the Bible and the lives of various translators than on the lives of early church fathers.

I agree with HollyDay: MOH and SOTW go quite nicely together. It is easy to see which lessons/chapters will go well together, which will overlap too much, and which will cover things missed by the other book. We've done it this year with MOH-1 and SOTW-1 and it has worked beautifully! Mystery of History does a fabulous job of "filling in" the Biblical history/heritage that is often "missing" from SOTW, IMHO. : )

I highly recommend Trial and Triumph by Richard Hannula. I have used both this and History Lives series. The stories in T&T are shorter and easier for youngers than HL series. I think that Ambleside Online has 1st graders working through T&T.

To match it up with SOTW 2 you would probably want to start with Ch. 3 which is Constantine (272-337)and end with Ch. 26 Renee Duchess of Ferrara (1510-1575)

That would give you 24 stories with one purchase. You can order it from Veritas Press or Rainbow Resource probably has it cheaper. I think it's under $20 but I can't swear to it.

ETA: I've also used MOH Vol. 2 and imo the information is waaayyy over a 1st grader. I enjoyed History Lives better than MOH. Maybe you can read a sample chapter online and see what you think.

Edited by silliness7