Menu

Help me out with a poll about purchasing chick/ens at what age.

At what age would you rather buy chickens?  

1. 1. At what age would you rather buy chickens?

• Day old.
    • 3 week old.
    • 16 week old (point of lay)
    • Other.

Hi,

I've never done a poll, so hope it works..

I am beginning a chicken breeding hobby/small business, and want to sell what I breed.

I planned to sell purebreed heritage/rare breed pullets at 16 week old (considered to be Point Of Lay chickens). When I was looking for purebred pullets of this age, it was almost impossible to find. This is the main reason for planning to sell at the POL stage. There just seems an opening in the market.

Then another breeder guy (he doesn't breed much anymore) I talked to asked why I want to keep them till that age - he said it's easier to sell them as younger chicks (3week old), you don't have the cost of rearing them, or need as much space to keep them. He also said that most people prefer raising the chicks themselves, rather than buy Point of Lay.

I can see his point, but I still think there would be a market for the older ones, seeing as they are as scarce as hen's teeth!

So - the hive knowing all things! - I thought I'd post a poll and see what is the prevailing opinion.

Thanks...

Edited by Isabella

If it is a rare breed that is going to cost me a lot, I would want a 3 week old most likely. This way, the chances are good that the chick will be a survivor and I will be less likely to lose my money from the chick dying, but it still has the cute chickie factor. Plus, it is young enough to become familiar with me.

If it wasn't expensive/is not a rare breed, I would probably prefer a younger chick. I love the fuzzy stage!

I usually wouldnt look for a point of lay chicken...they make me think there is something wrong with them for the owner to want to give them away at that point. I realize if you are a breeder, that makes it different, but I guess I just wouldnt think to look for a point of lay hen.

I think at point of lay age the benefits are great - you have a pullet for sure, there is little danger of the chick succumbing to myriad problems that beset little chicks, and it's not long before you have eggs.

When I went to get my first chickens, it was because I wanted fresh eggs, and I didn't want to wait 6 months for them, and there were none available.

Here in Australia, the rare breed chicks can go for $10 for day old and unsexed, meaning it's a 50% chance of ending up with a male. 3 week old can go for $15, and may still be unsexed, or not 100% accuracy if they are sexed. 16 week olds are very easily distinguishable between male and female, and go for $40. In my eyes it's no contest, but everyone is different in what they want, I realize.

I would certainly be wary of getting already laying hens from someone, because it's very hard to tell if they've been laying a month or two, or years. It would be possible to end up with an aged hen instead of a young one, whereas at point-of-lay, they are seen to be a young pullet.

Even though we have always bought day/hours old chicks through the mail, I have grown weary of having them in the bin under the heat lamp in my utility room for days on end. Unfortunately we have had substantial mortality with the 3 week to 3 month olds we put out in the mobile pen. I think all that cheeping calls to predators like a dinner bell. Our best luck has always been with mature hens who know how to protect themselves and that I don't have to baby along.

I prefer getting the day old chicks b/c it's easier for me to blend them with the grown chickens. Every time I've mixed new adults chickens in with my established flock they fight like crazy and never really stop. I have four stages of grown chickens that have been put together in my flock now and they STILL fight with each other. They seem to handle "blending" with the babies as they grow better though of course I have to keep them separate for a while.

Plus I still enjoy the chicks and watching them grow and develop-but I'm in it for the fun of it as well more than the bottom line...

I prefer getting the day old chicks b/c it's easier for me to blend them with the grown chickens. Every time I've mixed new adults chickens in with my established flock they fight like crazy and never really stop. I have four stages of grown chickens that have been put together in my flock now and they STILL fight with each other. They seem to handle "blending" with the babies as they grow better though of course I have to keep them separate for a while.

Plus I still enjoy the chicks and watching them grow and develop-but I'm in it for the fun of it as well more than the bottom line...

:iagree: We have a terrible time introducing older chickens to our existing flock. Its a war when we do it.

:iagree:

Plus the younger they are the better they sorta bond with us. I will never get grown hens again, they just almost never warm up to us and it's too much trouble to chase them around, etc.

Georgia

Hi,

I've never done a poll, so hope it works..

I am beginning a chicken breeding hobby/small business, and want to sell what I breed.

I planned to sell purebreed heritage/rare breed pullets at 16 week old (considered to be Point Of Lay chickens). When I was looking for purebred pullets of this age, it was almost impossible to find. This is the main reason for planning to sell at the POL stage. There just seems an opening in the market.

Then another breeder guy (he doesn't breed much anymore) I talked to asked why I want to keep them till that age - he said it's easier to sell them as younger chicks (3week old), you don't have the cost of rearing them, or need as much space to keep them. He also said that most people prefer raising the chicks themselves, rather than buy Point of Lay.

I can see his point, but I still think there would be a market for the older ones, seeing as they are as scarce as hen's teeth!

So - the hive knowing all things! - I thought I'd post a poll and see what is the prevailing opinion.

Thanks...

We've raised a lot of chicks in our garage over the years (15 years). I have had anywhere from 6 laying hens to 60 laying hens. My preferred method of obtaining laying hens for the past 4-5 years has been to purchase hens at about 2-3 months old (around 9-12 weeks). This is so much easier for me, and I only pay about $5 per bird. That's a bargain when I consider how much time I have to spend with chicks, the smelly garage, keeping the critters away from the tiny birds, etc. The 3 month olds can go directly into the coop/pen area and they are completely at home there by the time they begin laying.

I probably wouldn't want to get hens older (16 weeks old) because they would be more expensive and they might have a harder adjustment period (which will affect their laying).

While I would prefer to buy chickens when they are just beginning to lay it is not smart business to sell them at laying age. You will have a hard time making money that way. Day olds are best for selling.

(I am selling half my flock before winter if anyone in Denver area wants layers! :D )