Menu

4 level analysis vs. diagraming

melmichigan

I just got Rex Barks. We're using bits of it as a supplement to Practice Island sentences. I do like traditional diagramming and breaking apart the sentence does seem to help my son. He likes the visual of the

subject | predicate | direct object

I like the structure of diagramming, so that's why we'll do it some over the next few years. I don't think it's essential though.

I do 4 level analysis. I do *not* do traditional diagramming.

I toyed with the idea of traditional diagramming because diagram excels at showing what modifiers modify and what conjunctions join. However, there are many aspects of diagramming that I dislike. You have to re-write the entire sentence to diagram it. You must start a diagram with the subject and verb, even if other parts are easier to identify. If you get one little part of a diagram wrong, that mistake can completely throw off how you position the diagram on the paper.

Instead I extend the 4 level analysis to cover the missing concepts. I have DD draw arrows from modifiers to what they modify. So far that's adjectives, adverbs, and prepositional phrases. When we get to apositive phrases, I'll have her draw arrows for them too. I have DD draw arrows from conjunctions to what they join. I also have DD label objects in phrases. So far, that's just the object of a preposition, but eventually, I'll also have DD label objects in verbals.

Edited by Kuovonne

I like the 4-level analysis. We still do diagramming however. We had started it in GWG but switched from GWG to MCT. Often when doing Practice Island, we discuss what the adjectives or adverbs are modifying, what type of prepositional phrase it is, etc. I like the idea of circling the adj, adv, or phrase and drawing an arrow to what it is modifying.

One thing I need to do is to listen to SWB's MP3s again. In one of them, she emphasizes that diagramming is a tool to use to figure out what is wrong with a sentence. In the MP3, she gives a sentence and diagrams it. I've always listened to these in the car so I need to listen again at home when I can look at the slides in order to visualize to what she is referring.

If you teach 4 level analysis do you teach diagraming sentences in a traditional manner as well? My DD has learned 4 level analysis with MCT so I am curious if I should continue with that, or add in diagraming as in CW (which means I would need to learn it as well ;))?

If your child is good at grammar, you don't necessarily have to master it. I can do up through verbals well, but I start getting a little fuzzy with the differences between gerunds, infinitives and such, but dd is doing fine in CW. I do allow her to correct her own diagram with the TM through. :D

Heather

Yes, if you go to Peacehillpress.com and click on the MP3 you're interested in, there is a button that says "more info" or something like that and there are slides to download.

Wow. I purchased the MP3 a while back but had no idea there were slides.

How nerdy am I considering that I'm all giddy with excitement in anticipation of watching the slides?