Menu

ISO: Computer Grammar Games

Jamee

We're looking for some computer grammar games, either online or software. DS really struggles with his parts of speech and I think something he could "play" might be better than trying to drill him with lectures or worksheets. Are there any decent iPhone apps that would help? we're open to that option too.

Thanks!

Not software, but MadLibs can be fun extra practice for parts of speech... It can work even better, once he's done a few, to sit down and write your *own* MadLib together. Think of an event or tiny story you two can describe. Write it out in 4-5 sentences. Then go back and circle words you want someone to replace. Have your son identify them by part of speech. Then ask someone else to participate and fill in the right types of words, so your story gets rewritten. Lots of silly fun and it reinforces parts of speech very well.

We got one from Ohio Distinctive software called MazeQuest:Tales of the Wandering Grammarian. It starts with a little guy that you run through a maze. You "fight" monsters by answering grammar questions. Simplest level is identifying what part of speech a certain word in a sentence is. Hardest level is beyond my abilities and I always got straight A's in English. http://www.ohio-distinctive.com/games/gram/gram.html