Menu

Cooks, can you help me with this dough recipe?

Pizza dough

Ingredients

• 1 package active dry yeast
  • 1 cup warm water (110 degrees F.)
  • 2 1/2 to 3 cups flour, plus more if necessary
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

Directions

In a small bowl, combine yeast with water, olive oil, salt and stir well to proof. After 5 minutes, transfer to the bowl of a food processor along with flour, salt, and olive oil and process until the dough forms a ball. The dough should be soft but not sticky. If it is too sticky, add a bit more flour and process for another minute.

I don't understand the instructions. If I add the olive oil and salt to the yeast/water, there isn't any more to add with the flour. What am I not getting here?

There's a typo in there. Do NOT combine yeast with salt to proof. Salt kills yeast (ask me how I know!). And you want the olive oil with the flour, not in the proofing.

I would combine the warm water and yeast to proof. Then follow the rest of the directions as written.

Good Luck!

Thanks everyone.

I've never made homemade pizza crust before. Hope it turns out!

With modern yeast, you do not need to proof (prove the yeast is active). If you have out of date, dead yeast, get rid of it. I'd just process it all and let it rise. I used to bake 3 days a week, and have made more pizza dough than you can shake a stick at, and I never proofed.

(A sponge, in case anyone gets their knickers in a twist about this heresy, is different.)

With modern yeast, you do not need to proof (prove the yeast is active). If you have out of date, dead yeast, get rid of it. I'd just process it all and let it rise. I used to bake 3 days a week, and have made more pizza dough than you can shake a stick at, and I never proofed.

(A sponge, in case anyone gets their knickers in a twist about this heresy, is different.)

:iagree:

I love pizza dough, so handy. I love to make extra and make flour tortillas for lunch during the week.

Definitely one bowl. Proof if you're unsure of your yeast, otherwise everything at once is fine.

It doesn't need to raise but I like to let mine rest for 30 minutes before using. I use a little more olive oil in the dough too.