Menu

Timeline frustrations

Melissa B

In all our years of homeschooling, I have yet to finish a year with a nice timeline that we worked on for the entire year. :glare:

This year I would like to try doing an index card timeline. I would really appreciate any links to pictures of, blogs about or websites describing successful index card timelines. I need some inspiration!

Thanks!

We don't use an index card timeline, we use a fold out in a notebook using figures from Homeschool in the Woods. Here is a link to her description and pictures of an index card timeline. The section is about 1/2 way down the page. She offers several suggestions for setting up your timeline with cards.

http://www.homeschoolinthewoods.com/HTTA/TimelineHelps/#Anchor--- PORT-3805

I hope you find something helpful.

Let me just offer what we do.

I bought four accordian folders with the elastic band that wraps around the width to keep the top closed. They are divided into the classical divisions to follow SOTW. On the front of each, they are labeled. For example, this year's is labeled "Modern, 1850-Now" in the sticky letters we bought at the office store.

Next, I purchased a stack of manilla folders, regular paper size. I purchased avery labels. I use 5202 averay labels. I used a template in MS Word to print to the labels. I started at the year 1850-1859. We did 10-year increments. I printed all of the labels.

Finally, I purchased card stock for each of the continents in different colors. I included a clip art on the left of the sheet and the year printed in bold 20-pt print on the right. I printed North America, South America, Europe, Asia, and Africa. So, there is one set of card stock - one continent with the year printed - of different colors. We used green for North America, and green remains the color for North America.

The set for 1850-1859 is placed in the folder labeled with 1850-1859. We pull out a cardstock continent and paste timeline figures (which I have resorted to making to follow HO).

What I like is that I don't have something too small or too large to manage. You can pull out an entire continent or look at the world over a course of a few years.

We find that using this "folder" method is the only way we can use a timeline. We make notes all over the cardstock pages too. We staple extra timelines for certain events to the cardstock. We include in the folder any biographies or inventions that we investigate. Pretty much, anything you want to include in the timeframe of the folder gets shoved in there.

Hope that helps. I am sorry my photos are not ready yet! I have been so very, very busy at work!

In all our years of homeschooling, I have yet to finish a year with a nice timeline that we worked on for the entire year. :glare:

This year I would like to try doing an index card timeline. I would really appreciate any links to pictures of, blogs about or websites describing successful index card timelines. I need some inspiration!

Thanks!

hth:

http://www.squidoo.com/homeschooltimelines

Also, not what you were thinking of, but here's something different: http://www.thehomeschoolshop.com/sh-timelines.htm

OK, I feel a little bit of shame with this but with the goal of encouraging you....

I bought a timeline.

Really. Not a completed one - that I couldn't admit here. But I bought the book from Homeschool in the Woods. And all the timeline figures on cd. And the book to make sure we get it straight.

I am sick and tired of getting 20 weeks into a timeline, it languishing, and then throwing it out. Sick of it.

This year - we're on it. MOH tells you what to put each week - and we put it. And we add some extras. And it's done. And it's fun. And we enjoy it.

It was worth the money for me.

I don't know anything about index card timelines, but the idea sounds interesting.

If you need memory cards and pictures for SOTW, there are some at the file section of this yahoo group.

For grades 1-4, we have a wall timeline (shown in a picture in the above group) that I made.

My dd now has to make her own for grade 5-8. We started with a file, but I think she may enjoy index cards more. We're not very far along, so it would be really easy to redo the first few entries.

Like so many of the hands on parts of our school, mine only works because the kids like it and do it mostly themselves.

Sure I did most of the work of getting it on the wall and decided we would just use the review cards from SOTW for figures this year.

But other than that my involvement with our time like is "Here are the review cards." They choose to color them and hang them up, or not (although some one usually does). Sometimes they even add additional people or events.

We do make a point of showing off the time line and their work and asking guests to put thier birthdays on it, but I don't worry about it!

We don't use an index card timeline, we use a fold out in a notebook using figures from Homeschool in the Woods. Here is a link to her description and pictures of an index card timeline. The section is about 1/2 way down the page. She offers several suggestions for setting up your timeline with cards.

http://www.homeschoolinthewoods.com/HTTA/TimelineHelps/#Anchor--- PORT-3805

Love this website...thank you for sharing!

Pam