Menu

Couch to 5k or P90x or Jillian to lose weight?

I have been doing the couch to 5k and have lost almost 30 pounds in the last few months. I am working my way back through the program this time moving at a faster pace. A friend (who is in shape after 4 kids) says she used p90x and got back into pre baby shape - of course she didn't really have any weight to lose and I want to lose another 50-60lbs. She let me borrow her p90x program to give it a try and I am 3 days into it. It is definitely a work out, and I still can not do all the moves (no Dreya rolls, and my abs were shredded). I also have 3 of Jillians videos (Shred, boost metabolism, and no more trouble zones) that I like, but have not used in a while. So which of these have you had more success with, or which do you think would be most beneficial to shedding pounds?

None of these will work if you do not have control over your eating. You can exercise all day and still be fat if your eating is out of control. For me, the answer is "none of the above" because all of these programs cause too much stress on bad knees and herniated discs in my back. For me the answer has been weight watchers along with some cardio 3x's a week, weights 2 - 3 times a week, plus rock climbing 2x's a week. YMMV.

Whatever you'll stick to. Personally I'm not a fan of Tony Horton but P90X is an excellent program from a workout perspective.

My favorite "get in shape" programs are Slim Series with Debbie Siebers and Turbo Jam with Chalene Johnson. I haven't tried Chalene's new program ChaLean Extreme since I have far too many workout videos in my collection already but if I had the disposable cash I'd love to get it.

I did Couch to 5K and didn't lose a pound! I was definitely in better shape, though. Last February, I started a Boot Camp program that uses P90X and Insanity -type exercises. I've done videos from both. I really like the P90X videos for weight exercises and Insanity for aerobics. I lost 10 pounds (out of the 20 I would like to lose) in the first month with the boot camps. (I did not change my diet, because I'm eating pretty well, already. And I have some other medical issues which prevent weight loss.)

Lately, I've been doing the weight program (which contains cardio) 3 times a week and running twice. I was so proud of getting to the 5K that I don't want to lose it!

That's just my experience. In truth, you need to do the program that you will keep up with. Make sure that you have some muscle-building, because that will help you lose weight faster and it makes you look good too!

Guest mrsjamiesouth

On Day 2 of the 30 Day Shred it hurt me to sit on the toilet and walk down stairs. :lol: Muscles that I didn't know existed hurt for days. I only lost 7 lbs though in 30 days. I think you should pick a longer workout, many people that do the 30 Day Shred also go jogging or some aerobics.

I am currently using Insanity by the Beach Body Co. and it really works. I am not in pain like the 30 Day Shred, but it hurts. I like that the exercises rotate so you don't get bored and so that you work different muscles. I like that it has cardio and you don't need to add to it.

Also tried the couch to 5K and running is not enough for me to lose the weight. I ran cross country through high school. I got to 3 miles, and I only lost about 5 pounds and none of the belly fat.

My advice is to use P90X for strength training days (days 1,3,5), and go running on the more aerobic days (instead of the plyo, yoga, kickboxing on days 2,4,6).

That sounds like a nice plan. I will try that for a while and see how it goes. I am enjoying what I can do of the p90x, there is enough variation to keep me interested. :D

I did the P90X this spring/summer. I didn't lose any weight at all. My grandmother actually commented on how I was filling out. I wasn't really overweight to begin with, but wanted to lose a few pounds and tone. I definitely felt stronger, but at the end of 90 days I could barely button my pants.

That sounds like a nice plan. I will try that for a while and see how it goes. I am enjoying what I can do of the p90x, there is enough variation to keep me interested. :D

Good luck - keep us updated on whether it helps. I've done only-running and only-P90X, and for me a solid combination of the two seems to be the best. Now if I could just get off my rear end and do something, anything....:tongue_smilie: