Menu

I want to poke my eyes out!!!

AppleGreen

Ugg, I am so frustrated with spelling and my ds. Errg! We have been working on C+le words for three weeks and there has been a very small improvement, but ug he is still not getting it. He has also had the word while every week for spelling and is still struggling with it. I am sure there are some learning glitches, but right now I am just really frustrated right now.

If spelling were causing that much frustration for me, I'd stop doing it.

You can try again next semester or next year. ;) We only do spelling as a formal subject every other year and we didn't start until 10yo anyway :w00t:.

Before that we were doing phonics or talking about spelling in copywork and dictation and in his own writing so it isn't like you can't find opportunites to work on it. Mabye you won't want to injure yourself though!

Which son?

If it's the 20 month old then I wouldn't worry that he can't spell those words yet and he already must be a genius. If it's the 9.5 year old then that's a different story.

:lol::w00t::lol:

Ooooohhhh....ok. Sorry. I know you mean your older son. I couldn't help myself (I think I'm funny but I'm usually the only one....;) ).

Hmmm.....yes, I would also have to ask what are you using now with him?? I know some popular spelling programs are All About Spelling and Sequential Spelling. My son is much older...he's 15, and still can't spell if his life depended on it. I think I'm going to try The Spell of Words.

:lol:

I'm very sorry for your troubles, but you cheered me up at least. I was struggling with my own frustrations today (and this week, and this month, and this entire school year so far) and escaped for minute of peace to check the boards only to see the grotesque title of your thread. I think this is the first smile I've had over school work in a long time.

But please don't poke your eyes out. You will certainly regret it. I would recommend chocolate, as someone from the boards did for me. Today, I ate an enormous amount of potato chips immediately after breakfast as a pressure relieving strategy. :D

Take a week or two off. Then try again. What program are you using? I would recommend you do the spelling power method with him with whatever program you use. Its a 10 step multisensory method for mis spelled words

Step 1 YOU write the word- child says the word

Step 2 Child looks at the spelling of the word

Step 3 Child says the word and spells the word (out loud)

Step 4 Child closes eyes and spells the word out loud

Step 5 Child looks at word to make sure it was spelled right with eyes closed

Step 6 Child traces the word in carpet while spelling out loud

Step 7 Child checks spelling of work to make sure it was spelled correctly

Step 8 Child writes the word

Step 9 Child checks spelling again

Step 10 Then repeat steps if spelled wrong last time

Then use the word in a sentence. Also, spelling power tells you to stop at 3-5 mis spelled words so they can focus on those, then test again the next day with mispelled words then new words until 3-5 more wrong. This has been a GODSEND in my house! The multisensory is AMAZING! Try it, it will save your eyes ;) :001_smile:

LOL! Just bumping this up to thank you all. I'll keep my eyes and make cookies instead. :)

We are using AAS and we did just take a week off. I will give the Spelling Power method a go and see if that helps. It makes sense. It was just a frustrating day to feel like he was getting it this week and then today have him unable to spell words we've worked on this week. We'll keep plugging away. We all have off days, so I'll just chalk it up to that for now.

My eyes thank you for the giggles and thoughtful replies. :)

Ugg, I am so frustrated with spelling and my ds. Errg! We have been working on C+le words for three weeks and there has been a very small improvement, but ug he is still not getting it. He has also had the word while every week for spelling and is still struggling with it. I am sure there are some learning glitches, but right now I am just really frustrated right now.

What kinds of mistakes is he making? Maybe we can come up with some ideas to help him.

Merry :-)

Take those digits out of your eye sockets and use them for fingerspelling, a la SWR. Have child say "/cl/ -silent e, because every syllable has a vowel" as you stick up your pinky and ring finger (palm facing you) stuck together, followed by your middle finger as you say "silent e". Keep the middle finger unstuck to the CL fingers.

Or, e.g. for the word circle. Left hand, palm facing you, fingers tucked down.

Pinkie up "k"

Ring and middle up together "er"

pointer and thumb up together "cl"

and then pass your right hand under your left and stick up the thumb with your hands in the "thumbs up" pose and put your right hand on the back of your left so the thumb is just next to the "cl" fingers--"silent e"

My son was younger, but the visuals added a crucial dimension to him. I did it in a funny voice sometimes. HTH