Menu

What is a chicquita?

I don't know if I spelled that right, I took a guess. My daughter was at the grocery store and a gentleman from Mexico, at least I hope he was a gentleman, said "Excuse me, Chicquita." to her as they passed in the store doorway.

Is that a good thing? What does it mean? Did I spell it right?

I don't know if I spelled that right, I took a guess. My daughter was at the grocery store and a gentleman from Mexico, at least I hope he was a gentleman, said "Excuse me, Chicquita." to her as they passed in the store doorway.

I don't know if it's spelled right, but it means little girl.

Guest Virginia Dawn

Chiquita-- meaning: little girl

but the nuance is "sweet little girl"

If she is young it is a gentle term, if she is "of age" it is not necessarily rude, but it could be depending on the attitude and tone of voice.

"Chica" is girl, so "chiquita" is sort of like "little girl" or "missy" -- it's like saying "honey" in the south here.. the sort of thing a random grownup will call a child whose name he doesn't know. But now I've got the banana song going through my head! ;)

I think of bananas when I hear the word chiquita. And of course, the Chiquita banana commercial song then runs through my head.

Anyway, when I got my tattoo on my ankle a few years ago, I asked the tattoo artist what some of the weirdest tattoos were she had done. And she said she had a guy who wanted the Chiquita banana logo tattooed on his.... you know..... his "banana". :w00t: And he wasn't the only client who had his banana tattooed.

Michelle T