Menu

Cake decorators, I have a ?

What have you gotten the most out of in your cake decorating journey? Taking classes, or teaching yourself?

I'm on the fence about this. I have taken a basic course...and I did really well. Truthfully, it's not all that different than cermaics and sculpture. I have the option of taking some more courses, but was wondering if I would be better off just teaching myself.

This is just for my personal enjoyment...any thoughts?

Thanks!

I took classes in the very beginning, and after I'd exhausted the limited opportunities for classes (I think I took 3 Wilton classes), I learned much more on my own. I'm not sure I would have progressed to where I am had I not taken the classes first though.

The other thing that helps with very advanced skills (after you've learned what you can in other ways) is to see if there's a cake club event held in your state or one close to you. There are conference events that are extremely intensive weekend-long seminars, and there you will learn things that are pretty close to impossible to learn on your own. It really depends upon how seriously you intend to use your skills, whether you're looking for a hobby, or whether you're looking for professional development.

I've only ever had lessons from my mom. She was pretty much self-taught, however did benefit from specific classes. I know there was one technique that was much easier for her to learn in person than not. Other times she picked up little tips, such as writing on a cake with a tooth-pick before you do it with the icing. Other classes were just fun self-enrichment, and time out to pursue something she enjoyed, with people who didn't call her "Mom" or "Honey."

I'm a hobby baker too but get lots of requests from friends. I did all the Wilton courses last fall. One after another (I wouldn't recommend that because it was a lot at one time). I mostly considered the Wilton courses a very good starting point and then I joined CakeCentral (free) for advice and feedback. I get most of my greatest tips and techniques from that site. There are a lot of professionals at CakeCentral who are more that willing to share their ideas. For fine tuning my craft, I have CakeCentral and YouTube videos on the net. CakeCentral has one thread that is fantastic! It has tons of links to tutorials on the net:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-654103.html

Later today I'm trying out a new tip I got to make my fondant super smooth. I'm putting ganache under it instead of buttercream. It is supposed to taste divine too! The experiment: Lemon cake with homemade lemon curd filling covered in white chocolate ganache and Rhonda's Marshmallow Fondant (homemade and the recipe is at CakeCentral too). Fun fun fun!!!

I'm a hobby baker too but get lots of requests from friends. I did all the Wilton courses last fall. One after another (I wouldn't recommend that because it was a lot at one time). I mostly considered the Wilton courses a very good starting point and then I joined CakeCentral (free) for advice and feedback. I get most of my greatest tips and techniques from that site. There are a lot of professionals at CakeCentral who are more that willing to share their ideas. For fine tuning my craft, I have CakeCentral and YouTube videos on the net. CakeCentral has one thread that is fantastic! It has tons of links to tutorials on the net:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-654103.html

Later today I'm trying out a new tip I got to make my fondant super smooth. I'm putting ganache under it instead of buttercream. It is supposed to taste divine too! The experiment: Lemon cake with homemade lemon curd filling covered in white chocolate ganache and Rhonda's Marshmallow Fondant (homemade and the recipe is at CakeCentral too). Fun fun fun!!!

This is what I needed to hear!!! I've taken some classes...and have debated the final one. I'm not very happy with my Michaels right now, and there the only ones offering the class :glare:. So I've been toying with the idea of just jumping in again in some other way.

Thanks all, now to make a decision!

Hello- I am a Wilton Method Instructor and have been for about 2 years now- maybe a little longer. I have been doing cakes about as long as I have been teaching- long story there and for another time maybe. :001_smile: I would say that it has been very rewarding teaching. I enjoy decorating and I have enjoyed making cakes for my family and friends. But I have really enjoyed teaching others and helping them learn the craft too. :001_smile: