Menu

7 yr old expelled

What I read and heard seem far more thoughtful /complicated than what you are saying here (hsing is awful etc), so I can't be of help. I see than hsing is not going to work for them, and that is something far different. No anger on my part; I simply am not interpreting the situation in this way.

The family seems quite articulate and thoughtful...in the video they had no interpreter.

This child should have access to a school (that is not for troubled children).

Yes I did click the link. Then why did a PP poster talk about them being ESL? And did it talk about their jobs/time available to school him? I was just wondering those things. I didn't see the answers to some of my questions in the article.

So, if these are people who...

1. think homeschooling is just awful (and a lot of people do.)

2. both have full time jobs

3. don't speak good English (could have been interpreted for the article...and speaking it is different from reading it)

4. they were in it for the short haul, but now it's turning into a long haul

....well, then I can see them having a pretty big problem with this whole thing. Especially since the first year of hs-ing can be a big pain, and these people totally weren't prepared.

Edited by LibraryLover

Yes, well... I, too, make mistakes as a parent, but perhaps the rest of the parents here don't. My kids do dumb stuff, too--on a regular basis. I don't really think mistakes deserve punishment, though; I think the appropriate response is teaching and helping them to learn so that they can avoid similar mistakes.

I am stunned at the blanket condemnation by people on this board towards the parents. Did those of you who are condeming the parents read the article? It cleverly said that the kid "may find himself two years behind." For all we know, he could be on grade level. That sentence was a piece of editorializing.

It says the parents are homeschooling him.

They don't want to send him to an alternative school for "troubled" kids (read kids who have been expelled for actual weapons, etc.) that houses kids through 12th grade. I wouldn't send my 7 year old there, either. I've worked in similar educational institutions.

They are not keeping him from social contact--he plays sports still.

They are not doing anything wrong. For all we know, he may be attending the virtual school.

The parents are ESL. That is going to make it harder (and depending on their level of education) perhaps impossible to homeschool their child to grade level (though we don't really know how he is doing with respect to grade level). I have tutored ESL kids for years. The parents of the kids I tutor try very hard to help them with their work, but they aren't able to provide the same help that our tutoring program can provide and the English is one of the main reasons. It's possible that these parents are in the same boat.

Why the jump to blame and condemn the parents in all this? It's not based on what's actually written in the article.

The parents are saying that the policy is wrong. I agree with them.

The parents don't think homeschooling is the right choice for their child. I totally support their right to decide that a public school education is the best option for their child. A free public education is currently a right in this country. They believe that their child has unfairly been deprived of that right. I agree with them.

I agree with the parents on the assinine nature of the punishment. When there are unjust laws and punishments, it is the right and duty of good citizens to take a stand against them. Since when is that whining? Why is that not a form of making lemonade? I commend them for standing up to the mindlessness of policies like that. Zeron tolerance policies are assinine. I love Gwynfhr's phrase: zero intelligence policies. I hope that catches on!

:iagree:

Yes I did click the link. Then why did a PP poster talk about them being ESL? And did it talk about their jobs/time available to school him? I was just wondering those things. I didn't see the answers to some of my questions in the article.

So, if these are people who...

1. think homeschooling is just awful (and a lot of people do.)

2. both have full time jobs

3. don't speak good English (could have been interpreted for the article...and speaking it is different from reading it)

4. they were in it for the short haul, but now it's turning into a long haul

....well, then I can see them having a pretty big problem with this whole thing. Especially since the first year of hs-ing can be a big pain, and these people totally weren't prepared.

I talked about them being ESL because I listened to the video. English is not their first language and speaking it is indeed different than reading it or writing it or teaching the reading or writing of it.

We don't really know what kind of job they are doing--there is nothing in either the article nor the video that indicates that. But being ESL is likely to make homeschooling their child in English harder. Plus, personally, I don't think anyone should be forced to homeschool. It's a choice.