Menu

homemade caramel sauce?

This is what I use when I need caramel sauce. It is from CakeCentral.

Stacy’s Dulce de Leche

Ingredients

3 cups of granulated sugar

2 tbsp light brown sugar

1/4 cup of water

1 tbs. corn syrup

2 cups of heavy cream

1 oz of butter

2 tsp of vanilla extract

Instructions

Place sugar, water, and corn syrup in heavy sauce pan stir to combine and with a pastry brush, brush down the sides of the pan to make sure no sugar crystals fall into boiling sugar syrup. Boil to caramel stage ( use a candy thermometor if you not comfortable eye balling this) remove from heat and carefully add heavy cream and butter. stir until smooth put back on low heat and cook stirring constantly for 5-10 minutes until sauce thickens slightly. Remove from heat add vanilla extract and pour into heat safe bowl. Take a piece of plastic wrap and place right on top of caramel sauce as to avoid a skin from forming place in fridge Until completely cool or over night is best.

I've developed a taste for caramel sauce lately and would like to make some. Does anyone have any good recipes for making it?

My DH makes caramel pie using the following method, about as easy as it gets:

Take a can of Carnation Condensed Milk.

Put in it boiling water it for about 2 1/2 hours, adding water as needed to keep the can covered.

Let it sit and cool, unopened.

When cool, open and enjoy yummy caramel!

Full disclosure: I always leave the house when he is making his caramel. He has had a can explode by not keeping it covered with water (this was before we met but he told me about it).:tongue_smilie:

Dulce de Leche is a little different than a straight-up caramel sauce. But can easily substitute for it.

Just make sure you don't cook it too long, else it isn't easily pourable. The condensed milk version is also shelf stable, so you can do a few at one time, and just put the ones that you don't use back in the pantry until the original expiration date on the can! And be sure to put the cans on some balls of aluminum foil or a canning platform....not straight on the floor of the pot. It will help keep the temperature steady and not overheat the cans..risking rupture. That's not a good thing :)

Here's a recipe for Caramel Sauce that's been tried and true in our household :) We usually always have some in the fridge.