Menu

Another Homeschooling article, NBC....

Did anyone link to this one yet? I love the subject of the article, for a change, and it has a really cool interactive US map with approx HS number by state and level of regulation.

As home-schooling moves to mainstream, stigma fades

As numbers increase, many say past stereotypes aren’t accurate

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/39342787/ns/today-parenting

I read this earlier this afternoon. My favorite part of the article came right after they quoted an adult who was homeschooled for a couple of years and it didn't work. “There are home-school parents who are knuckleheads just like there are public school parents who are knuckleheads,” Dean said. “It’s all about parental involvement and their desire to give their kids a good education.” I loved it because a lot of my friends and relations seem to think we think we are superior because we homeschool. ummm, no, its just what works for us and hopefully we aren't knuckleheads. Sometimes things are the same in school or out. :0)

I'd say their numbers are way off. At least in TN... they list 3,000 homeschoolers in TN. Our group, in one county, has almost 400 families. I'm guessing they aren't county those registered with a CRS (umbrella school). Majorly skews the numbers.

Thanks for posting. HSing articles seem to be coming out of the woodwork these days.

The one thing that makes me chuckle with all of them is the volatility of the comments. It's crazy! I am doing what I beleive to be best for my family, I'm not sure how that is a personal affront to anyone but some people sure take it that way. :glare:

I'm not in TN any more, but I agree with you. Their numbers are way off! The vast majority of homeschoolers we knew were under CRS or "umbrella schools" and so were never counted by the state. Actually, I never met any homeschooling family that did hs under the state. We knew a LOT of hsing families!

Did anyone link to this one yet? I love the subject of the article, for a change, and it has a really cool interactive US map with approx HS number by state and level of regulation.

As home-schooling moves to mainstream, stigma fades

As numbers increase, many say past stereotypes aren’t accurate

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/39342787/ns/today-parenting

I wish the map had included what percentage of the state's students are homeschooled. Hard to compare raw numbers if you don't know what the student population is.

I was surprised to see 200+ listed for DC. When I was there, there wasn't any notification to make*. So there wouldn't have been much way to count homeschoolers. I wonder if the notification process has changed.

*To be specific, there was a notification written into law, but the board to which you were supposed to notify had never been authorized. So there wasn't an entity to report to.

I'd say their numbers are way off. At least in TN... they list 3,000 homeschoolers in TN. Our group, in one county, has almost 400 families. I'm guessing they aren't county those registered with a CRS (umbrella school). Majorly skews the numbers.

I wish the map had included what percentage of the state's students are homeschooled. Hard to compare raw numbers if you don't know what the student population is.

Yeah, it would be nice if there were numbers for:

the total number of children in the state

the number in brick and mortar public school

the number in brick and mortar private school

the number participating in homeschool and parent-led education through distance learning or another umbrella program (including those operated by the state)

and the obligatory other

If it were reported in this way, I am certain that those numbers would increase dramatically.

Mandy