Menu

Favorite Aenid Translation?

Which Aenid?  

1. 1. Which Aenid?

• Fitzgerald
    • Fagles
    • Other (please specify below)

Take a look at this comparison of the translations. I'm using Fagles because I had heard good things about this audio version. Fagles doesn't stick as close to the Latin as Fitzgerald, and he uses more of a free verse. In the end, I found the Fagles more gripping and easier for me to read. If we were studying it while deep into advanced Latin, I might have chosen a different translation.

Take a look at this comparison of the translations. I'm using Fagles because I had heard good things about this audio version. Fagles doesn't stick as close to the Latin as Fitzgerald, and he uses more of a free verse. In the end, I found the Fagles more gripping and easier for me to read. If we were studying it while deep into advanced Latin, I might have chosen a different translation.

Karen, I appreciate the detailed review. This reading will preface the original Latin version so now I'm leaning toward getting a copy of each. I think we'll use Fagles for enjoyment but keep Fitzgerald on hand as we struggle through the Latin.

Barb

Also handy for reference is Edith Hamilton's Mythology for the myths I had forgotten, or never knew.

I became a Mandelbaum fan after reading his translation of Metamorphoses. FWIW, I had a hard time w/his translation of Dante's Inferno, and used another translator for that book.