Menu

Christy Miller series by Robin Jonesd Gunn? Christian teen fiction?

LNC

I'm thinking ahead about getting my daughter this series for her 12th bday. I read some reviews online about girls reading these and really being impacted positively. Seeing along with Christy that just attending church doesn't make you a Christian and praying along with her in the story. A lot of middle school girls at ballet and even church are reading Twilight over and over. I'm looking for a fun, light series alternative.

She's very well read in youth classics and historical fiction a la Truthquest. Even summer twaddle :). She has already read older Nancy Drews, Trixie Beldens, Cherry Ames, and Mandie for series summer fun in past years. I don't mind the chaste romance in the Christy Miller series especially since they get married eventually. But I don't want her to read about teen "problems" like s---x, or cutting etc. Anyone read these and liked them?

I read them as a kid and loved them. She has a second series (and I just looked it up and there seems to be 2 newer ones now) that is about Christy grown up in college that I read probably 2 years ago and I also enjoyed them. I actually like almost all of Robin Jones Gunn's books so I may be biased. ;)

I loved these growing up, and I still have almost all of them. The characters are not perfect, which is a good thing. But the stories are great, and it was so good, as a teenager, to read stories that showed the goodness of God without lying about the imperfection of our world. And that were just fun. :)

I also got to meet Robin Jones Gunn once, as an adult, and she was absolutely lovely. It was nice to get the chance to thank her for all the hours of enjoyable reading she gave me as a kid.

adding a deeper description - lol - They are pretty safe, content wise I think. There is a thing in one of the books where a new friend gets pregnant, but they don't really go into detail, and the girl ends up moving away....and in another one they sneak out at night and get caught and get in trouble.......the cool thing is the girl who was pregnant comes back in RJG's adult romance books and has a happy story, so that's cool to read.