Menu

Beefing up Elemental Science for 4th Grader

ummof3

I am on the ES Yahoo group so will put the question there. Paige has indicated how the plans could be adapted for older students. However, I'd like to know specifically how people have done this and how successful they were. I would have preferred it if the programme had been geared to older students and I could have adapted it for my younger kids. However, I do understand the sequence of the programme and that it gets more advanced when you hit chemistry and physics.

I'd like suggestions on spines - and if anyone has a schedule - would you mind sharing?

I've decided to get dd to do her own research and maybe make a lapbook to go along with ES.

Thanks!

Edited by ummof3

I have a 4th grader doing ES this year (Biology). I have "beefed" it up with library books. She is responsible for reading 2-3 books per animal and writing a summary. Thus far, it's working well. I make sure that I have 8-10 books per animal so dd can have some independence and read books that she finds appealing. I'm also doing this with my 3rd grader. The 1st grader is enjoying ES as written.

Planning on using Elemental Science Chemistry in 4th and Physics in 5th. I think you could learn a lot, in a fun way, with those books the author recommends. There's plenty of time for more serious, heavy science later (our plan is to do 7th and 8th science-heavy with Singapore Interactive Science and BFSU, among other sources).