Menu

What's the name of the book about Smart Girls liking Math or something??

And there's Hot X: Algebra Exposed Danica McKellar is brilliant, in my opinion. I enjoy the interviews she does on NPR's Science Friday. Apparently she wants to get through calculus, though the pace of books may slow down as she's expecting/delivered her own little mathematician.

Dd loves to see/read about strong women doing strong math! (You just have to get past the titles but they are so worth it!)

I recently got one of these for my math-hating dd. She actually has read some of it, and today when I was talking to my other dd about negative numbers, she piped up with something - I asked where she'd learned that (since her "offical" curric hasn't done negative numbers) - I thought it might have been from LOF - nope, it was from Danica McKellar!

She has the Kiss My Math: Showing Pre-Algebra Who's Boss book.

I saw the author of "Math Doesn't Suck" etc. speak at MATHCOUNTS nationals a couple of years ago -- preaching to the choir, and a heavily male choir at that, but she was quite entertaining and enthusiastic about kids doing math. Haven't read her books, but I wasn't under the impression that they're just for girls, though I'm sure girls are a large part of her intended audience.

A young, inspiring woman mathematician that some girls (and parents) might enjoy reading about is Melanie Wood, the first U.S. girl to compete in the International Math Olympiad and now I believe a professor at Stanford. The Wikipedia article about her has some good interviews and articles listed in "external links." I like the one from the "Girls' Angle Bulletin" -- as well as the article by someone else that precedes the interview. Melanie answers questions about doing work in a heavily male field and what that's like. (She was a cheerleader in high school -- so definitely not one to avoid "girly" things.)

Grace A