Menu

Memorization can be a GREAT thing

I have a neighbor who like to quiz my son on the sly and then make comments. Yesterday she pointed out to me that he couldn't spell something that her daughter (who is a grade above DS) could spell last year. I turned to her daughter and asked her if she knew the 8 parts of speech. Blank look.....she knew noun and Verb. I turned to DS and asked what are the 8 parts of speech and he rattled them off. Enough said? :D (I didn't tell her that he knows them, but can't always find them in a sentence but that wasn't the point) I still giggle when I think of the look on her face, and I know that it is smug and bad of me, but oh well.

I really hate it that people feel so belittled by homeschoolers that they feel it's okay to quiz our kids to prove their own point. So what if we homeschool? Seriously, so what?! What gives them the right? Should we, then, start quizzing their kids on what they know?!

Urg..hot button for me.