Menu

? about John Hudson Tiner Science books

She was able to do it independently. Your 9 yo might need some help, but if your 11 yo is a strong reader, perhaps they could do it together? Or you could read aloud. There are nice comprehension questions at the end of each chapter (and an answer key in the back).

We used Exploring the World of Chemistry, and we really liked it!

We did RS4K chemistry quite a while ago now, and I wish that I had known about this book then. Looking back, I think DD would have been able to benefit from it at 10 but maybe not so much at 9. I think that it's been great this year, though.

We tend to discuss science more than hand it off--that's just our style, plus I think that to really get DD engaged in science enough to truly understand it, she has to talk about it until it's clear that she can apply the information. (She doesn't get there from just reading it.) So I have not tried either RS4K or Tiner as a hand off item.

They're pretty straightfoward and chapters are short. I used them for logic stage, but I think a 9 year old could handle them, too. They're more a history of science sort of text and cover a lot of the scientists, rather than a lot of in depth info on the actual mechanics of the various sciences. They make a nice complement to a science program.

My son used these... They were part of our SL days... He was 10 or 11 then... so around 4th or 5th grade I guess. He did extremely well with them.

The history of medicine was his favorite... especially the begging of the book where medicine was so crude and experimental... so to speak...

He used the medicine one, Planet earth (was the first one we used) and The world around you... but I think that was done by a man named Parker?? It’s the same type of book though…