Menu

Saxon Phonics Intervention

Roxy Roller

Does anyone have experience with this program?

My DD is in 6th, but I am really feeling the need to go back a bit. Her reading and spelling are behind, and I am feeling the press of the middle grades coming.

How teacher intensive is the program and is it worth the money?

Any input would be appreciated.

I have not used the intervention, but have used Saxon Phonics 1 and 2 with my three boys. Very teacher intensive! But VERY solid in terms of the rules, etc...I would say that the results have been very good. Both of my older boys scored at the college level in elementary school on the phonics portion of the standardized testing they did. My oldest is an excellent speller (14 yob) and my second is solid (11 yob). My youngest boy just finished Saxon 1 and is very good at spelling for his age. I think it is a bit advanced in terms of teaching spelling rules. I am spreading it out over a longer period for him because I don't see a need to rush through it.

HTH

I just ordered this today for my 5th grader who definitely missed all the phonics and spelling rules in learning to read.

Here's a tip for getting it $50 cheaper. I bought the intervention kit (intervention teaching tools) at Christian Book for $29.95 and the workbook for $13.69. I bought the teacher's manual used at amazon for $26 (including shipping). So I spent about $70 total.

I can let you know what I think when I get it. But my son loves Saxon math, so I think it'll be right up his alley.

:D

Smiles,

Shalynn

My 7th grade son can read but can't spell. I believe his spelling is at 3rd grade level. He hasn't completed a two year phonics curriculum when he was younger because all the rules confused him. It frustrated him.

Up until yesterday he would still become confused with which sounds are short and long.

Right now we are doubling up with some of the lessons and with doing that it's taking about 30 minutes. The first 6 lessons where vowels, the 7th blends and 9 to 11 are learning digraphs. So, these were not very hard for my 7th and 5th grade dc, but they do need to learn how to code and I think the review for my oldest is always good.

Today, we'll start lesson 13.

I'm also using Saxon Phonics 1 and my little guy who could only read cvc, cvcc words. Two days ago he read contact and plastic :hurray:. He is learning how to code and divide the syllables, break down the words. These are all in Saxon Phonics Intervention as well.

Sax. Intervention, is heavily scripted. If you don't like scripted, once you get use to using the program you can pretty much read the lesson and use the manual for prompts. I prefer scripted programs.

Some of the coding is boxing suffixes, putting a line behind the 'c' to make it look like a 'k' (k-backs), put a line through voiced letters; the 's' makes it's second sound /z/.

SI does teach sight words but I'm going to teach most of them using phonics. I have SWR and am using PR with two of my boys.

For me, it's worth every penny (twice):tongue_smilie: I purchased this when my oldest was in 3rd grade but didn't stick with it because I was using a full boxed curriculum as well, plus he was too young for it at the time.

I'm also using this with my 5th grader. She spells at grade level but took off reading when she was 6yr. old. Because, she read so well, I didn't finish with her 2nd year of Phonics Instruction, which I think was a mistake. She reads three grade levels above but I have noticed that if she comes to a bigger, harder word, she can't always figure it out. I believe SI will help with this.

Edited by Homeschooling6
wrote tow instead of two

My 7th grade son can read but can't spell. I believe his spelling is at 3rd grade level. He hasn't completed a two year phonics curriculum when he was younger because all the rules confused him. It frustrated him.

Up until yesterday he would still become confused with which sounds are short and long.

Right now we are doubling up with some of the lessons and with doing that it's taking about 30 minutes. The first 6 lessons where vowels, the 7th blends and 9 to 11 are learning digraphs. So, these were not very hard for my 7th and 5th grade dc, but they do need to learn how to code and I think the review for my oldest is always good.

Today, we'll start lesson 13.

I'm also using Saxon Phonics 1 and my little guy who could only read cvc, cvcc words. Tow days ago he read contact and plastic :hurray:. He is learning how to code and divide the syllables, break down the words. These are all in Saxon Phonics Intervention as well.

Sax. Intervention, is heavily scripted. If you don't like scripted, once you get use to using the program you can pretty much read the lesson and use the manual for prompts. I prefer scripted programs.

Some of the coding is boxing suffixes, putting a line behind the 'c' to make it look like a 'k' (k-backs), put a line through voiced letters; the 's' makes it's second sound /z/.

SI does teach sight words but I'm going to teach most of them using phonics. I have SWR and am using PR with two of my boys.

For me, it's worth every penny (twice):tongue_smilie: I purchased this when my oldest was in 3rd grade but didn't stick with it because I was using a full boxed curriculum as well, plus he was too young for it at the time.

I'm also using this with my 5th grader. She spells at grade level but took off reading when she was 6yr. old. Because, she read so well, I didn't finish with her 2nd year of Phonics Instruction, which I think was a mistake. She reads three grade levels above but I have noticed that if she comes to a bigger, harder word, she can't always figure it out. I believe SI will help with this.

Is this something you could use with multiple children at the same time?

Elizabeth, I have looked at your phonics lessons in the past, but I couldn't figure out how to download them to my ipod and my internet connection doesn't support video very well.

I will try again and see if I can figure it out.

I recently made new movies that are compatible with the iPod. Here are the movies that work with the iPod, they are on a separate page linked from my phonics lessons page:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/iPodmovies/ipodmovielinksa.html

Linda, how long do you work with each child using the Phonics Intervention? Will I get through it in one year, or will it take more? I haven't been able to find any where online that I can take a look inside the books.

Will it help my DD's spelling? I honestly am at a loss as to what to do. I tend to like scripted things, so it sounds like it might work. I need something sequential and thorough that doesn't take too long. She already has a long school day. I am really trying to get her to work more independently, but that is like pulling teeth. I am starting to feel like I have a behavior issue too.

Linda, how long do you work with each child using the Phonics Intervention? Will I get through it in one year, or will it take more? I haven't been able to find any where online that I can take a look inside the books.

Will it help my DD's spelling? I honestly am at a loss as to what to do. I tend to like scripted things, so it sounds like it might work. I need something sequential and thorough that doesn't take too long. She already has a long school day. I am really trying to get her to work more independently, but that is like pulling teeth. I am starting to feel like I have a behavior issue too.

Depending on how much review; for us right now it's taking 30 minutes on average. A few times it's taken 40 minutes but that's when I veer off and start explaining things :) I need to just stick with the program;)

There are review decks and each day we are going over those but once they don't need that review, that card can be placed in their 'retired' deck, so it's not like there are a whole lot. For us I retired all the single letters (b, k, t,) but not the vowels or vowel teams. I really want those cemented in my son's brain :D.

I teach my dd and ds at the same time.

Keep in mind with a struggling learner (like my son) things like spelling are going to need to take teacher time.

Find and separate what is behavior issues and deal with them separately. I would encourage you to make a list of your dd school subjects, then prioritize them. Find out what is most important this year. If spelling is what you want to concentrate on this year (like me with my ds & dd) then maybe a lighter year of grammar or history, then adjust the next year.

Saxon Phonics Intervention should only take a year to complete. I highly recommend to start at the beginning because even though the child may know the sounds, they are learning rules and coding. We have doubled up on some lessons like blends. I made sure to see what the children needed to know and went through that lesson orally, then moved to the next lesson that same day.

My plan is to give them an intense phonics/spelling program this year and hopefully next year they can do a more independent program or use their copywork.

I blogged a little about Saxon Phonics Intervention HERE.

Hoped I helped some :001_smile:

Thank you, Elizabeth. Is there any way to download the lessons to my Ipod? I do not have wireless connection where I live.

Thanks!

I think QuickTime Pro will download them.

Otherwise, you could have her watch them at your library. Most libraries have headphone equipped computers. We have lived many different places, and only one library did not have headphone equipped computers for patron use. They did, however, provide headphones for children using the computers for educational use and would let adults bring their own headphones to use.

Thank you, Linda! I read through the post on your blog(your kids are adorable) and it really helps to see the actual items that they use in the program. I think I need to go back to flashcards with my DD, so this is probably what I need. I will let you know how it goes!

With my ds I think the constant review with the flashcards are great. With the letter flashcards for instance with the 'TH' the child is suppose to say 'digraph th' I'm not having them say that with every digraph. As long as they know the sound and what a digraph is, I'm fine with that. Only because I think it would take a long time to have to go through a whole deck saying, digraph ch, digraph th etc.

I would love to hear how it goes for you. It really is a neat program. I'm using Saxon Phonics 1 with my 2nd grader and I love seeing him break down the words into syllables.

Okay, Linda...I have a couple more questions. Do you think that I could use the SPI with my twin boys in Grade 3 and my son in Grade 4? How would I have to modify it? Or would I? I would maybe do them all at together, at a little slower pace(could take a year and a half or two), and keep my daughter on more of a schedule to finish by the end of this year. Would the workbook be okay for the boys too, or would it be too advanced?

I would drop ETC, which has gotten me to this place to begin with and maybe we can progress somewhere this year.

Okay, Linda...I have a couple more questions. Do you think that I could use the SPI with my twin boys in Grade 3 and my son in Grade 4? How would I have to modify it? Or would I? I would maybe do them all at together, at a little slower pace(could take a year and a half or two), and keep my daughter on more of a schedule to finish by the end of this year. Would the workbook be okay for the boys too, or would it be too advanced?

I would drop ETC, which has gotten me to this place to begin with and maybe we can progress somewhere this year.

Saxon Phonics Intervention is recommended for 4th grade and up. Saxon Phonics Intervention has 100 lessons where Saxon Phonics 1 and 2 have 140.

I'm currently using Saxon Phonics with my 7.5 dd (2nd grader).

Depending where your boys are at, I would think to maybe consider Saxon Phonics 2. My 7.5 yr. can read cvc and cvcc words but he hasn't been introduced to the long vowels or vowel teams (other than going over the SWR cards last year but he doesn't have them all memorized). My son does know all his 26 letter sounds but with each lesson there are also learning to code and listening for beginning, middle and ending sounds, so it's more than only learning the sound of /m/.

The worksheets for SP 1 & 2 are also more younger child friendly.

Here is the table of contents for Saxon Phonics 1, Saxon Phonics 2 and Saxon Phonics Intervention, here is a review from Cathy Duffy regarding Saxon Phonics K-2nd. She gives some details about the different levels.